Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Banned Lockdown

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    MTS 73 features a young gentleman getting his knee popped en route to being subbed by Electric chair, and Rogan speaks of getting his leg screwed up while in LD. It rarely happens but it does happen. I don't think it's okay to ban any move, because of a misunderstanding of the technique via injury, but he is an instructor, so you gotta respect him. By respect him I mean leave the school and find a place where people know how to escape LD.

Are there any other banned moves?
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10Th Planet Jiu Jitsu San Francisco
    Banning the Lockdown makes no sense, it's a basic move that anyone can do and it's being used at all belt levels around the world.There are other techniques that are way more dangerous and can potentially inflict more damage for ex the Guillotine can end someone's existence yet we still practice it and people get put to sleep all the time or armbars peoples arms get jacked all the time we still don't ban them. It makes more sense for him to ask you not to do it to him while his knee is hurt. In the long run that rule hurt him, you, and the academy as a whole.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    ^LOL @Wancarlos. Yeah, you gotta respect the lock down. It's called that for a reason. It's a shame because he's limiting himself and his students. One day it's likely that his students will encounter guys who play lockdown and they'll get beat because he refused to learn and teach it. But that's on him. For you, you have to decide how important your BJJ journey is. To be honest, since the lockdown is a pretty big part of my game, it'd be hard to stay at a school that banned it.

Array

School
    Next Generation Ballymena / 10th Planet Ronin
    Makes sense if he has injured his knee and doesn't want you to use lockdown on it in fear of hurting it further (then again why is he rolling in the first place).
    What I've noticed though is that people get injured in the lockdown because they think that they can just power through it, this is especially true when a higher belt goes against a lower one, happened at a gracie barra school where I train at once a week, a purple belt thought he could slip his leg through as I went reverse lockdown and then something popped in his knee, I still felt bad though all the same lol

Array

School
    West coast fight team
    We don't allow the heel hook for rolling in class but we do drill it. It is a sure way to blow out the acl. My left knee has been sore a few weeks so the rg will just have to wait unless a miracle happens and I get a free New York. I wish I was better at the weak side rg.. Muddy waters don't hurt the sore knees as much but I got to have a ninja roll going to get that transition....peace
    My real name is Bob Ritter and that is Mighty Mouse with me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Banning the lockdown is doing his students a disservice. Having you there to throw different techniques at them is invaluable to long term development. At any type of competition/fight someone will be able to use lockdown and it would be much better for them to have experienced it in the gym first before a competition setting. Sometimes peoples knees pop because they resist the sweep so hard when they should just roll over. Too much base, somethings gotta give. Maybe he should check his ego?

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I was asked not to do lockdown at a school before. Its common. I didn't stay at that school very long. If you want to progress though your 10th planet journey, with 10th planet moves, you have to make a change happen or leave places like that. It never ends with banning one thing. You have to make the decision; do you want to stay with this "nice" instructor and become a collar grabbing, cookie cutter grappler that he's trying to produce or do you want something else? If you want something else, you may have to leave. You can try talking to him first and letting him know how important this is to you and that he is banning a move that is legal in white belt kids brackets where subs aren't even legal. Best of luck to you brother!

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    I was asked not to do Electric Chairs at one school before. It is all up to you, man. You can either try to adapt to their rules or move on and find a different gym.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I'm curious though. How did the knee pop? Evil rainbow? Bad attempt at passing? Failed lockdown break?

Array

School
    10th planet sf
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY PROKOPOS View Post
    Banning the Lockdown makes no sense, it's a basic move that anyone can do and it's being used at all belt levels around the world.There are other techniques that are way more dangerous and can potentially inflict more damage for ex the Guillotine can end someone's existence yet we still practice it and people get put to sleep all the time or armbars peoples arms get jacked all the time we still don't ban them. It makes more sense for him to ask you not to do it to him while his knee is hurt. In the long run that rule hurt him, you, and the academy as a whole.
    I totally agree coach, I guess I just wanted some reassurance, cheers.

It happened very much like in the MTS episode except I hadn't begun to evil rainbow, just by him trying to rip out of it, we both had gi pants on so it gets pretty tight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast