Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Banned Lockdown

Array

School
    Combative Arts Institute/10th Planet Bethlehem
    yeah and can't the de la Riva mess up the guy's knee but no one has a problem with people using that?

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by ohio2berlin View Post
    Maybe talk to him privately. Invite him out for a beer...free beer always makes people listen. Ask him if he has knee issues etc. Explain that you've never had an issue like this before. I know some people will tap from pressure on the calf etc, but for the knee to pop out...wow. I mean I have dislocated my knee cap 2X and I've been in the lockdown and so far my knee has stayed in place.

Did he try to roll out of it funny? Did his foot stay still and his leg twist? Just some questions to look at the situation from more angles.
    sounds like germany is having a good effect on you.

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    People are scared of what they don't understand. The guy may have been ignorant to the technique, unfortunately was one of the unlucky ones to get injured from it, got his knee popped and assumed it would happen to everyone.

But yeah, as Denny said, he's hurting the whole school by not allowing it.

Array

School
    10WO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCann View Post
    I totally agree coach, I guess I just wanted some reassurance, cheers.

It happened very much like in the MTS episode except I hadn't begun to evil rainbow, just by him trying to rip out of it, we both had gi pants on so it gets pretty tight.
    So he gets hurt trying to escape the lockdown without properly setting up an escape route? I'm assuming he didn't try to pin your leg with the butterfly like for a no-hands pass/dominator or hit a buttocks compressor, right? This makes me sad for him and his students: he didn't react properly to a legit move, and now he will never look at it again because "its a dangerous move". If your leg is tightly wrapped up, of course you are going to get hurt if you don't set up your escape with a proper technique.

Things in jiu jitsu are only dangerous in proportion to your ignorance to them.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    I couldn't roll at a school that banned the lockdown.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I agree with many of the above. I've seen quite a few knees pop in lockdown. 95% of those pops are self inflicted. When I'm caught in a deep lockdown ill often concede the sweep and attempt to salvage guard. Top position isn't worth your knee and bottom guard is better than bottom side.

Array

School
    Team Quest Redding
    If you try to escape the lockdown by just spazzing out like an idiot, you may pop a joint. The same is true of knee bars, arm bars, shoulder locks, guillotines, and all kinds of other things everyone does. When you're caught in a lockdown you can't disrespect the danger you're in; when people want to ban it, I tend to think it's because they don't *want* to respect it. They don't want to be noobs with regard to it. They don't want to have to learn something they suck at. Even though it's perfectly possible to train it safely with a modicum of understanding. Kinda like TKD and head punches.

It's the first step into McDojo country. I wouldn't go to a place like that long-term.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    It was probably a freak accident. We had a new guy try to put lockdown on me once and when he stretched the lockdown he hyper extended my knee. It took like 6 months for my knee to recover. Not sure how it happened exactly. I might have been on my side slightly or something getting ready to pass or pressure in who knows. Never happened again.

Array

School
    Full Contact Performance
    Didn't Joe Rogan's knee blow from the same situation?

Tough one - I'd rather be educated on it because it's not like it will be banned from competition.

Lockdown can calf slice and can hurt the knee. I've felt it a couple of times. Think its just a mismatch of body types/length of legs etc.

I personally wouldnt ban it. Are heel hooks banned?

Array

School
    Impact and 10th Planet Portland
    I had one guy pop his knee when in my LD, but he had a bad knee already and he rolls way too hard so of course he spazzed out when I had him in it and pop! I felt bad about it though and now I just don't use it on him which is fine, good practice anyway to open up other options in my game. In general if I'm at a school that doesn't get the lockdown I just use it very carefully so no one gets hurt but yet they have a chance to feel it and get used to how to defend it. banning it would seem a bit extreme but if you like the school a lot then I'd hang and see if you can change their minds over time, this worked for me at one gym I trained at where they originally didn't want me doing any RG or LD and now they are ok with both.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast