Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banned Lockdown

Array

School
    10th planet sf

Banned Lockdown

What's up guys, so I was rolling with one of the instructors of a local gym a few weeks back and his knee popped while I had him in lockdown, since then he has banned it and I was wondering has anyone one else come across the same problem?
    Of course I have to respect his rules but my whole half guard game is lockdown based, I guess I'm just looking for your guys thoughts on the matter and get some advice on how to overcome it.
    Thanks in advance.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Personally I would be looking for somewhere else to train.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    +1

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Well, one can understand banning a technique you think is dangerous... And one could see how one would conclude a technique is dangerous if it pops your knee out... that being said If his knee pops out from lockdown Id hate to see how he held up against someone reppin leglocks or even someone exploding through his guard or etc...

Array

School
    Combat Base
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    +2

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    It would be one thing if he requested you to not use it against him due to an injury/physical issue with his knee, but to ban it completely seems bizarre.

Array

School
    A.C.C Jiu-Jitsu
    really he can ask you not to do it, but ban, i think was too much, i always use it , including in Gi competitions .

Array

School
    10th planet sf
    Cheers for the input guys, he's a really nice guy, great coach and a much better jiu jitsu player than myself, just feel that banning moves is a slippery slope.

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    Use this as an opportunity to grow your game and force yourself to learn more techniques that do not require the lockdown or figure out other ways to play the half guard game. Always grow your game, don't get stuck in having to use a certain technique from certain positions. Just my 2 cents

Array

School
    BJJ Akademie Berlin
    Maybe talk to him privately. Invite him out for a beer...free beer always makes people listen. Ask him if he has knee issues etc. Explain that you've never had an issue like this before. I know some people will tap from pressure on the calf etc, but for the knee to pop out...wow. I mean I have dislocated my knee cap 2X and I've been in the lockdown and so far my knee has stayed in place.

Did he try to roll out of it funny? Did his foot stay still and his leg twist? Just some questions to look at the situation from more angles.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast