Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE

Building the perfect Jiu Jitsu Fighter from the Ground Up- Opinions Welcome

??
    Last edited by VJ Bella; 06-27-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Array

School
    HQ
    You're not crazy, you're drilling to win. No need for a consultation if the results are there.

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    I'm no one special but I think focusing solely on defense sets him up not to lose rather than trying to win. I think going back to being offensive would be a better way of teaching a newbie (even if its his second go round) I teach guys with zero experience and most have had success being the aggressor. Defense is important but its hard to be offensive with constant pressure.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    As with leg locks, defense seems to be what people shy away from. Understandable though, because you'd rather not get caught in a leg lock and you'd rather learn a cool sub than a defensive technique. Sprinkle the defense in along the way, so as not to burn them out.

When I started out, I quickly understood I must have my defenses on point, since everyone was 6 ft, 180+ lbs. I figured, have a great defense, and one would not have to worry about getting caught, then be able to concentrate on offense. So it seems like your strategy will work. Remember, different people will learn differently. Some want to learn the cool subs first, then the defense later. So it's imperative that you sprinkle a bit of "this" here, and "that", there.

Rick

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Jiu Jitsu in origin is for self defense and nothing says self defense more than keeping yourself alive. Once you can survive, then you can really progress. I think this strategy will pay off tremendously in the long run. There really is something to be said for being incredibly hard to tap and that is something I also pride myself in.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    This isn't at all how I train, but I have no doubt that it can be effective. I have always felt that if you're defending against my submission, you can't be applying one to me, so I attack relentlessly in order to defend myself. There have been times when I've been so ashamed in my defense that I'even taken pains to fix it; I drilled side control escapes very heavily for year, for example.

Probably the most important thing is not to burn out a young athlete. I stepped away from wrestling for four years in my prime, which I regret to this day. As long as Noah is confident and excited about jiujitsu, you're doing something right. Just make sure that he realizes losing and tapping out are not the end of the world and that winning is not the sole measure of his value as a person.

Array

School
    10th Planet (Ronin)
    Your approach is similar to what Roger Gracie did and it paid off for him. He said that once he was not afraid of being submitted he could relax was able to work his offence more.

Array

School
    BJJ Akademie Berlin
    I am going to approach this from another side, not from someone who trains JJ, but from a teacher's perspective

Do what ever he is interested in. If he is having fun, then do that. If he starts to get bored, get irritated, not dig it, then switch things up. Doing the same thing, day in, day out, for a kid is torture. Kids learn quickly and have few issues remembering things and they are so fast with muscle memory. Sometimes we, as adults, seek perfection in what they do. Perfection will come with time and at their pace, not ours. Give him the knowledge and see what he does with it...it is his journey at the end of the day.

My call would be drill defense, but throw in some offense, some days why drill at all? Just roll and laugh...make it fun. If he is loose and relaxed he'll really learn what he can do. Also, ask him what he wants to do. Maybe he's been checking out some move on youtube and trying to figure it out or he wants to try it...do it.

That's just my 2 cents.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    In my very humble, blue belt opinion, having great submission defense gives you a lot of confidence when you roll or compete. You are not afraid to take risks that could lead to being put in a very dangerous situations because you know that you will be able to get out of it. Personally, I drill some sort of defensive technique or a reversal every day that I train. One week I would drill mount escapes, all week long. Next week, arm bar escapes, all week long. Next week, I would do triangle escapes and so on.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    ??
    Last edited by VJ Bella; 06-27-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast