Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round

10th Planet techniques for wrestling?

My kids are currently wrestlers who at least for the time being claim they want to be MMA fighters when they grow up. My son just turned 7 and my daughter is about to turn 9 next month. They both started wrestling last December and work very hard but are still dealing with the difficult learning curve of starting a little later then other kids. (Some kids start wrestling at 4, and they met some of them. It seriously made a difference.)

Both of my kids get stuck on the bottom a lot and it occurred to me that perhaps BJJ sweeps might be a good way to get out of pins. I bought Eddie's book and went over the half guard stuff and was enthralled with the possibilities.

Looking at the history of 10th Planet it might seem kind of backwards to go from 10th Planet backwards to wrestling but I was curious if anyone could make recommendations for 10th Planet techniques that would be good for wrestling Folkystyle, Freestyle and Greco-Roman. They also both plan to do no-gi BJJ and Freestyle Judo but there are far more Wrestling tournaments available then either of those and they do best when they are competing.

I obviously don't intend to try and teach my kids from a book, they are both going to be enrolled at Final Round in Ann Arbor Michigan at the start of next month. But I wanted to pick the brains of some of the people here (and hopefully Eddie himself since he was a wrestler at one time) about applications of 10th Planet techniques for wrestling. Escapes and sweeps are obvious but I found myself curious about pins as well.

Array

School
    10th planet L.A. Tapout
    Get the twister DVD !!!!

Array

School
    BJJ Akademie Berlin
    The thing to remember that in wrestling you need to keep off your back and some sweeps require you to roll across your back...this might get called a pin. In freestyle and greco once those shoulders hit...it is over.

Anything from the back would be great. Look at your rules to see what they consider dangerous moves. Also, make sure anything that makes you go around the neck and clasp the hands or hand to arm, includes the opponents arm. It has been a long time since I wrestled, but that was the BIG rule.

Other than that man, let them rule the world with takedowns...learn those things. I now suck at takedowns, but my limited 6 years from 6th grade through high school give me a massive leg up even 20 years later against those you never ever learned proper takedowns.

Hope your kids do great!!

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Work on using the twister as a pinning combination! That's how it all started. Top mat wrestling in folkstyle is so incredibly helpful in BJJ and MMA, way more than par terre in freestyle or greco.

You can also sit to a crotch-lock and start putting in a bottom hook to take the back when people shoot a high crotch, or if you push the head inside from a single.

ohio2berlin covered it, but you really won't get much of a return on investment in working on pin escapes for wrestling. Bridging is about it - they only have to hold your shoulders to the mat for one second in folkstyle or a single instant in free or greco.

From scrambles though, check out the sweep Dylan Ness from Minnesota hits at 30 seconds into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCAIjxBAh1U

And again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrMgYnpvoTc

He also hit this move in the NCAA quarter finals.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YAvoAEu-lHQz_w

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I've competed in judo, wrestling and bjj for yrs. All of them help the other. the important part is to make sure its fun all the time!. if your looking for wrestling drills and tech to help them get better get a membership to flowrestling.org and mastering the system.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    I was thinking half-guard sweeps might be a good way for my son to get back up when he is down. This video is a compilation of some losses he had where he struggles to get control back if his opponent ever takes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6h...2RHLD9TNJ_xSDQ

My daughter has problems fairly typical to girls wrestling that her opponents tend to be stronger and heavier then she is, it occurred to me that she should be fighting with leverage as much as possible as she is never going to be as strong as her opponents 90% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udQ...2RHLD9TNJ_xSDQ

Array

School
    Holiday Inn Express
    The dogfight techniques are great for wrestling.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by fattywarbucks View Post
    The dogfight techniques are great for wrestling.
    This. It's always good to go after underhooks in half guard
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Can someone give me a link to something where I can review those techniques? And thanks!