Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile

Help with Solid Competition Techniques for Kid (7)

My son is 7 and has been practicing BJJ for around 2 years now. He's done really well in competition and I consider him an intermediate to borderline expert competitor. I'm looking to help his game with some kid friendly techniques. Any suggestions would be great.

His stand up consists of a pretty solid double leg and he works some single leg action. He does become timid at times and ends up in the whole push-pull game you see at white belt gi a lot. I'm also helping him with a head and arm throw that seems effective at his level. I'd like to maybe add some tie up stuff.

Id say he's a better wrestler than BJJ guy on the ground. Good control and transitions. Good pressure. Good mounts from side control. I'm expanding his guard currently with the hip bump / kimura / guillotine chain which seems effective. I'd like to incorporate maybe a few more "safe" guard attacks that don't give up the pass.

His HG is really good when he's with kids his size. He's got a pretty nice electric chair sweep and some back takes.

His side control is mainly a control position. I'm not overly concerned with this at this point because he mounts 99 percent of the time he gets here.

He knows all the basic subs and positions.

I'm open to any ideas. No gi and gi.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    When I found 10thplanetJJ, my daughter was only 9.5 yrs old with 1.5 yrs of BJJ training, which wasn't much. She wasn't picking up what her coaches been teaching her. She never had the confidence to spar. She only did a couple of tournaments before me finding 10thplanet. But after we started drilling the rubber guard, with only a week of drilling, she was able to use the rubber guard and win all her matches in a tournament. It blew us away and so was the crowd as we are not in an area where people play rubber guard. So with your son being 7, he's primed from rubber guard. He still very flexible to do whatever. Playing rubber guard and all the transition has help my daughter pick up the traditional jiu jitsu even quicker. So my recommendation... rubber guard....

Array

School
    Warrior Way (Caique)
    It's good you work guard with him if he's a little wrestler! I would work on getting good at arm triangle chokes from guard as well as top. They are for the most part pretty safe. Usually if someone is pressuring my face or chest with their elbow or hand, I have a good shot at shucking it over and getting my head behind their arm and from there I can wrap up the head and arm for the choke. Sometimes I can even straighten my legs to flatten people out and then sneak a butterfly hook in for a submission/sweep combo. If he hits an arm triangle from the top, wrestlers are used to pinning a guy down with a head and arm control. The mechanics of this move is pretty similar to pinning someone, but it's a little different when the choke is the main focus. A good ol' arm drag does wonders when your trying to take someone's back from guard also. Arm drags are safe from guard and if they somehow escape it the worst they can do is square back up with you. Trying to give you wrestler-like moves with a jiujitsu spin on them!

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson J Lodge View Post
    It's good you work guard with him if he's a little wrestler! I would work on getting good at arm triangle chokes from guard as well as top. They are for the most part pretty safe. Usually if someone is pressuring my face or chest with their elbow or hand, I have a good shot at shucking it over and getting my head behind their arm and from there I can wrap up the head and arm for the choke. Sometimes I can even straighten my legs to flatten people out and then sneak a butterfly hook in for a submission/sweep combo. If he hits an arm triangle from the top, wrestlers are used to pinning a guy down with a head and arm control. The mechanics of this move is pretty similar to pinning someone, but it's a little different when the choke is the main focus. A good ol' arm drag does wonders when your trying to take someone's back from guard also. Arm drags are safe from guard and if they somehow escape it the worst they can do is square back up with you. Trying to give you wrestler-like moves with a jiujitsu spin on them!
    Very nice suggestions for a kid. I like it. It plays into the guard work we've been working on. He's gotten really good at breaking the opponent down. Now to be more active and finish.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    This kid medals in Judo, Wrestling, and BJJ, gi and no gi. He also wins big tournaments like Naga and Pan Am. I talk to him sometimes on Facebook as my kids are kinds of fans of his. Part of his secret was exposing himself to multiple disciplines. You might consider looking outside of BJJ for some alternate approaches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV06_SQTUIU

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kiernan View Post
    This kid medals in Judo, Wrestling, and BJJ, gi and no gi. He also wins big tournaments like Naga and Pan Am. I talk to him sometimes on Facebook as my kids are kinds of fans of his. Part of his secret was exposing himself to multiple disciplines. You might consider looking outside of BJJ for some alternate approaches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV06_SQTUIU
    This kid is no kid!! He is a man child. LOL He was in the same division (11 yr old) as my daughter at Battle 4 the Ages. We met him again a couple of weeks ago at Kids World, his arms are bigger than mine.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Flying tris, berimbolos, gogos, and twisters. He's got the basics of positioning and control. Get him finishing. Don't focus on training for the rulests of local tourneys at his age. Look at the long run.

Yes Blake. I'm dead serious. Bring'm by anytime.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    This kid is no kid!! He is a man child. LOL He was in the same division (11 yr old) as my daughter at Battle 4 the Ages. We met him again a couple of weeks ago at Kids World, his arms are bigger than mine.
    I think I might of watched a video of your daughter using rubber guard. I showed it to my daughter to give her an idea what was going to be different about 10th Planet from what she was used to.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Flying tris, berimbolos, gogos, and twisters. He's got the basics of positioning and control. Get him finishing. Don't focus on training for the rulests of local tourneys at his age. Look at the long run.

Yes Blake. I'm dead serious. Bring'm by anytime.

He won his in-house tournament again yesterday for the 5th or 6th time. Had a nice Kimura finish from guard that we've been working on.

He loves twister side and the truck. Twister side has made his mounting nearly unstoppable if he gets to twister side.

Need to come see ya man when I get some free time!

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Awesome. Love kimuras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast