Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester

Vacationing in Brazil in March - Please give me tips, experiences etc

I am going to Brazil March 3 - 14 with my Girlfriend for vacation (neither of us have ever been) and would LOVE to hear about experiences, things to do, things not to do, places to train (No Gi) etc.

We will be flying into Rio de Janeiro but want to travel around some.

Truly appreciated!

I've never been to Brazil myself, but a friend of mine goes all the time and has trained in countless places. He's pretty much all gi, but one time he trained at BTT and said they were primarily all no-gi now. He said they were all great guys(except Murilo Bustamante lol) and he had the opportunity to roll with Thiago Tavares while there. Just a suggestion.

Array

School
    Springfield BJJ
    I'll ramble a bit about my experience. It was from before I trained Jiu Jitsu, so no training advice.

Brazil is a huge country, if you want to see other cities it probably isn't realistic to drive, it would use up all of your time. Cabs, public transportation and walking is what I did.

When I went I used an airline service (I think they were called something simple like "airpasses") that allowed me to get a whole package of in country flights cheap, it was a punch card style (5 flights). I went to 5 different cities and loved them all for different reasons -Rio, Sao Paolo, Salvador, Manaus (in the Amazon, where I got to go out on a canoe on a Jungle tour, and go piranha fishing) , and Natal (which they claim has the world's second cleanest air after only Antarctica...). I enjoyed all of them and would say Brazil is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever been to.

Not alot of people spoke English, and you have to be very aware of crime, especially in Rio. There is nearly an industry of robbing / ripping off tourists who can't stay to follow up. Be careful carrying around nice camera's etc, and have fun.

Also drink a few "suco's" (fruit juice drink...awesome), and while you are in Rio see the big Jesus...there were monkeys all over the place by it when I was there. Visit a few fun clubs. Make it out to at least one Raggae Bar, try to catch up with a Sambo line in the streets at some point in time just to see and feel it.

Check with your doctor or health Department before you go, because it isn't mandatory before you go but my doc recommended I think it was Hepatitis C and B shots and something else (I think C is food and B is in case something happens and you have to get a blood transfusion via medical care down there). I was an idiot and drank the water for a whole month minimally and had no noticeable issues.

Learn the portuguese words
    "Disculpe" (Dee-scoop-a) - Sorry,
    "Obrigado" (Ob-ree-gaw-dough) - Thanks,
    and "fala Ingles?" (fah-lah een-glace) - Speak English?

When I landed in Rio I stayed in an "apartemento" because I didn't know how to ask for a hostel in Portuguese yet. It was like a little condo. I saved a ton more money doing hostels the rest of my trip, and some girls in front of my at customs were staying at "Rio Backpackers" if it still exists and liked it.

You should have a blast!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Don't eat the cat shit!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    the beaches seem awesome!
    go surf eat BBQ and dont wear a gi around the streets (in case you get into a fight)
    im sure all the local resturants know Renato so just mention his name and im sure you'll get great prices!

also dont forget to eat plenty of acai

Array

School
    Thanks Ryan.

Lucas thank you so much for your experience and tips. I will absolutley take your advice. We want to do Rio, Sao Paulo and Curitiba. We plan on doing some relaxing and beaches for sure but also want some adventure and outdoor activities. We have to see the Giant Jesus for sure.

We are not on a super tight budget so we will probably choose hotels over Hostels but thank you for that tip.

Thanks and please keep them coming.

Oh Lucas, were people kind to you as a tourist? Did you do any snorkeling or diving?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Don't eat the cat shit!
    rolfmfaofaofoafoafoafodasfkljdshgkljreklfkjldafdbf kjldgf. funny.

Array

School
    10th Planet Vista
    on the sherdog website under the grappling technique section there is a sticking called moving to brazil part ii, with lots of info about experiences in brazil.

have fun

later, ron

Array

School
    Thanks Ron.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Don't eat the cat shit!
    Coach I was hoping to come over to your house and eat your cat's shit to build up an immunity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast