Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Balance Studios, PA
    Gracie Academy should be at least a little embarrassed by this match. A brown belt running away.... I'm not a fan of that. I'm a blue belt, and I would engage Cyborg on the ground. I would obviously be outclassed, but I wouldn't run away from the ground in a jiu jitsu match!
    Last edited by Tranlers; 08-26-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: I wanted to state what I would do in Schaub's place.

Array

School
    Training station, Manchester NH
    "Don't Schaub me Bro"

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranlers View Post
    Gracie Academy should be at least a little embarrassed by this match. A brown belt running away.... I'm not a fan of that. I'm a blue belt, and I would engage Cyborg on the ground. I would obviously be outclassed, but I wouldn't run away from the ground in a jiu jitsu match!
    It's kinda funny too cuz Ryron was criticizing Jeff Glover for turning around on Baret Yoshida but him and Rener praised Shaub for his performance and said it was a good strategy.
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Array

School
    Lookin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    That's f'n hilarious. In all honesty though, I would have been running from Cyborg too, but you'd see shit running down my leg.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Herrera View Post
    It's kinda funny too cuz Ryron was criticizing Jeff Glover for turning around on Baret Yoshida but him and Rener praised Shaub for his performance and said it was a good strategy.
    Yes it was such a great strategy they've had him back every show since
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    It was a perfect example of how not to win a match.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Herrera View Post
    Haha didn't even think of that. It'd be great if they could keep their stories straight. Damn son. That's hilarious. Glover puts on a great active non stop action match, get criticised for being too playful. Schaub avoids a grappling match for 20 minutes.....20 MINUTES....great strategy. LMAO. These guys are insane.

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    My point was, I really enjoyed it, while clearly no one else did. I watched it straight after listening to Rickson. He talked about how, with enough time, he could deal with anyone. I had never thought about what Gracie Jiu Jitsu really is, and when I watched watched it I felt like I was seeing it as Rickson described it. Look how angry he made Cyborg.
    I just spent a week watching every piece of footage about the Gracies I could find on the internet, and to me it looked like Schaub was just testing him the whole fight, shoving him and poking him and seeing how he reacted.

As far as I can see, that is the only realistic way to beat someone way better than you. Ruin their plan till they get pissed off and start doing dumb shit.
    And it was working. He got him cyborg abandon his attack and try something else. I think if there was more time, Schaub would have stayed calm and fresh and learned more and more about Cyborg, while Cyborg eventually just completely lost his rag.

In my (very humble) opinion, if it was a real fight, Schaubs approach was the only chance he had. He likely knew, like everyone else did, if he dived into Cyborgs guard it was over. I guess as a Muay Thai convert seeing someone poke, prod and evade a better fighter is normal.

There was nothing stopping Cyborg, at any point, from getting up and taking Shaub down. I left thinking Cyborgs game was one dimensional and if Schaub would not play it he had nothing.

Just to add, I'm not trolling here. I have run forums for over a decade (and I'm pretty over it). No content, no forum. A forum manager needs on topic, interesting discussions and lots of them, so I am just trying to help, not argue with any of my Jiu Jitsu superiors.
    Last edited by Tim Elliott; 08-26-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Maybe I see BJJ in a different way, but what you see at metamoris is not fight based jiu jitsu. That's not the context. It's about grappling with the purpose of getting a submission. Your point about if it were a real fight is irrelevant. Pure grappling matches are not simulations of real fights. This is why tons of black belts get whooped in MMA. Grappling is about positional control and submissions. If I wanted fight relevant jiu jitsu, I'd watch MMA because then you can apply grappling to a fight context. But I didn't. I paid to watch good grappling, not some philosophic display about what jiu jitsu means to him. He shouldn't have gotten into the match if he didn't think he could win. He shoudln't have signed up if his intention was to run.

We're not stupid. I saw what Eddie Alvarez and Gil Melendez did to Aoki. There are tons of MMA matches that already prove that defensive jiu jitsu works. Plenty of examples of how to deal with the better jiu jitsu guy. We did not need Schaub's dumb ass to contribute in the most boring way possible. Did he really need to accept a match and waste 20 minutes of life? Hell no.

Here's another problem. This what if scenario gracies keep bringing up. What if there was more time? That's also irrelevant because when he signed the contract he knew that the match was for 20 minutes. So you train to finish the fight within 20 minutes. You don't train to tire the guy out for 20 minutes then hope he's tired and hope you get the judges nod for being less tired. I don't care about, what if there was more time. Considering how fresh they were, I'd say the fight would keep being boring. Maybe Cyborg would just let him get side control to finally get him to engage. Schaub would stand up and repeat the same thing for another 20 minutes. And then Cyborg would still tap him because he's better than Schaub.

Sorry man, if you're looking for fight simulation, watch MMA. If you're looking for BJJ, don't watch Schaub. It was a great strategy to annoy the piss out of 99% of the BJJ community, alienate fans, and cause Metamoris to have investor relation problems.

The match is inexcusable. Maybe because you're a muay thai guy you don't quite get how BJJ works. What Schaub was doing was not poking and prodding. It was more like throwing feints for 20 minutes straight while backpedaling.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elliott View Post
    My point was, I really enjoyed it, while clearly no one else did. I watched it straight after listening to Rickson. He talked about how, with enough time, he could deal with anyone. I had never thought about what Gracie Jiu Jitsu really is, and when I watched watched it I felt like I was seeing it as Rickson described it. Look how angry he made Cyborg.
    I just spent a week watching every piece of footage about the Gracies I could find on the internet, and to me it looked like Schaub was just testing him the whole fight, shoving him and poking him and seeing how he reacted.

As far as I can see, that is the only realistic way to beat someone way better than you. Ruin their plan till they get pissed off and start doing dumb shit.
    And it was working. He got him cyborg abandon his attack and try something else. I think if there was more time, Schaub would have stayed calm and fresh and learned more and more about Cyborg, while Cyborg eventually just completely lost his rag.

In my (very humble) opinion, if it was a real fight, Schaubs approach was the only chance he had. He likely knew, like everyone else did, if he dived into Cyborgs guard it was over. I guess as a Muay Thai convert seeing someone poke, prod and evade a better fighter is normal.

There was nothing stopping Cyborg, at any point, from getting up and taking Shaub down. I left thinking Cyborgs game was one dimensional and if Schaub would not play it he had nothing.

Just to add, I'm not trolling here. I have run forums for over a decade (and I'm pretty over it). No content, no forum. A forum manager needs on topic, interesting discussions and lots of them, so I am just trying to help, not argue with any of my Jiu Jitsu superiors.

Last edited by Jack LaBarge; 08-26-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast