Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA

Lockdown causing a straight ankle lock?

Ok, noob question,

Other people are finally playing lockdown on me (and in some cases, getting sophisticated in their defense). That can only be good for my training, so I couldn't be more pleased.

But last night somebody put the lockdown on me. I couldn't get the buttocks compressor and we were up against the wall, so I couldn't capoeira pass (yes, we could have moved, but we were having fun with it). I was trying to work the defense of just looping my ankle out and trying to straighten the leg, but my opponent had much longer legs than mine and was clever in reacquiring the lockdown.

As this battle continued, I became aware that my foot was getting really tired. I hadn't put the boot on (am not sure I should), and it was fully extended. The pain got to be pretty nasty and I'm not sure where my physical limit is, so when I started getting that kind of pain that says "you're about to be injured bro" I tapped.

It got me thinking, which is a dangerous habit for a white belt (the lowest form on the earths), so I'll just ask questions instead:

* Has anyone else experienced this?
    * Was it a fluke? Or is this repeatable? Is this an attack that a person could learn to do from lockdown?
    * Is it easily defended by putting the boot on and I was just being a noob to tap to something so weak?
    * Anybody ever had their foot injured from a straight ankle lock from lockdown?

Thanks.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    First I have heard of that. Once in a blue moon you may get a guy to tap from the pain on the achillies\calf area but never from an ankle lock in my experience? Did he have incredibly long legs or him long legs and you short legs?

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    Did he have incredibly long legs or him long legs and you short legs?
    He's tall, I'm short and I feel that I have stubby "troll legs." Triangles are pretty tough for me even against skinny people. When I do lock them in correctly though, I don't usually have to pull on the head...

I'm suspicious it's a combination of that and "i'm a noob" that got me there.

I've gotten taps from white belts from calf pressure and a lot of general griping about it (particularly as I get better).

Array

School
    10th Planet LA HQ
    The lock down can exert tremendous pressure on the joints... Be that the ankle or the knee. We had a mishap at HQ yesterday when an experienced player decided to test his pain threshold. His knee popped. Luckily, he was able to pop it back in.
    So, TAP TAP TAP... it's just practice.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Ok, noob question,

Other people are finally playing lockdown on me (and in some cases, getting sophisticated in their defense). That can only be good for my training, so I couldn't be more pleased.

But last night somebody put the lockdown on me. I couldn't get the buttocks compressor and we were up against the wall, so I couldn't capoeira pass (yes, we could have moved, but we were having fun with it). I was trying to work the defense of just looping my ankle out and trying to straighten the leg, but my opponent had much longer legs than mine and was clever in reacquiring the lockdown.

As this battle continued, I became aware that my foot was getting really tired. I hadn't put the boot on (am not sure I should), and it was fully extended. The pain got to be pretty nasty and I'm not sure where my physical limit is, so when I started getting that kind of pain that says "you're about to be injured bro" I tapped.

It got me thinking, which is a dangerous habit for a white belt (the lowest form on the earths), so I'll just ask questions instead:

* Has anyone else experienced this?
    * Was it a fluke? Or is this repeatable? Is this an attack that a person could learn to do from lockdown?
    * Is it easily defended by putting the boot on and I was just being a noob to tap to something so weak?
    * Anybody ever had their foot injured from a straight ankle lock from lockdown?

Thanks.
    First off...white belts aren't even people

Sounds like a fluke to me. The most I've felt is a little pain in the calf when first learning it. That being said. It's better to be safe than sorry. Tap in training as much as possible.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Enterprise
    Definitely not a fluke. This is a true story I'm not making this up. At Gracie Regionals West, Rob swept Baret Yoshida with the lockdown (can't remember what sweep.) Baret ended up crucifix choking him (like he does everyone) and winning the match, but I overheard Baret complimenting how tight Rob's lockdown was and saying that it felt like he was getting put in a toe hold. I think guys who aren't conditioned to deal with the lockdown don't properly deal with the pressure and it end up getting their feet turned on it angles that they don't like. So my advice to you is to do a ton of dead reps on passing the lockdown in order to condition your feet and legs for it. Also, one time when I was a white belt, I was complaining to B Mac about how my legs where tender so he had me roll and beat my wrists, feet, legs and arms with a bamboo stick. If those two things don't do the trick then I can't help you.

Array

School
    10th Planet Enterprise
    Having said that, it's definitely not something the guy on bottom should rely on. I'm just saying that when you get put in the lockdown it's not a fluke that your leg and foot can get tweaked. It's a tight position.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    The lockdown can indeed be painful at many locations on your shin, calf, ankle, or foot. However, your opponent isn't able to control the rotation of your lower leg, so if it hurts, rotate your lower leg. The hitchhiker armbar escape operates using a similar idea. Of course, when in doubt, tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Genrri View Post
    The lock down can exert tremendous pressure on the joints... Be that the ankle or the knee. We had a mishap at HQ yesterday when an experienced player decided to test his pain threshold. His knee popped. Luckily, he was able to pop it back in.
    So, TAP TAP TAP... it's just practice.
    Who was it? I know some of the daffy old bastards at HQ have wrecked knees, a calamity I've somehow avoided (knocking on all wood in sight) up until now.