Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Metamoris 5: Yuri Simoes vs. Rafael Lovato, Jr. (Countdown)

Need Lovato to go ahead and win this

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    I agree with Lovato on advantages being annoying, BUT, the real reason their first match was a 50/50 snooze fest was because of the gi... come on now.

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    I agree with Lovato on advantages being annoying, BUT, the real reason their first match was a 50/50 snooze fest was because of the gi... come on now.
    I don't think you can blame the shift in modern Jiu Jitsu on the gi instead of the rules of advantages and points. 50/50 is just as boring in no gi IF the guy is using it to stall

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mayall View Post
    I don't think you can blame the shift in modern Jiu Jitsu on the gi instead of the rules of advantages and points. 50/50 is just as boring in no gi IF the guy is using it to stall
    Oh I agree with advantages and points being the root, but that attracts guys to go for 50/50 and stall. And of course it can happen in no gi, but I think being that things move a lot quicker and are more difficult to hold it makes it a little more risky to go for unless you have killer leg locks that you know you can finish with

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    Really wish this was a nogi match.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Array

School
    10Th Planet Jiu Jitsu San Francisco
    Yuri all day

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Walker View Post
    Really wish this was a nogi match.
    Me too, but since it's the only gi match on the card, it's cool to have at least 1 or 2 gi matches at Metamoris. This should be a fun one. I think Yuri is more boring in nogi honestly. Lovato Jr is pretty damn entertaining in either.

Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    Oh I agree with advantages and points being the root, but that attracts guys to go for 50/50 and stall. And of course it can happen in no gi, but I think being that things move a lot quicker and are more difficult to hold it makes it a little more risky to go for unless you have killer leg locks that you know you can finish with
    I would love to say that their first match was boring because of the gi, but I just can't. Nogi IBJJF matches that go to 50/50 are just as boring, if not moreso, and just as common. Guys that play 50/50 in IBJJF tend to do it no matter what they're wearing, since it's not a guard that depends on grips. I'd actually argue that 50/50 in the gi is more exciting in IBJJF events, since there are at least more opportunities to sweep and pass with the extra grips, and literally the exact same foot lock options. Anytime there's 50/50 with no heel hooks it's bullshit and it's boring, gi or nogi. 50/50 in events like ADCC is another animal. You try to stall it out and you'll get your leg ripped off. There are only a handful of guys with decent leg attacks from 50/50 that don't include heel hooks.

Unless they're an absolute savage like Marcelo Garcia, athletes are going to give you boring matches when they compete in rule sets that allow them to win by using boring but effective strategies. The IBJJF has one of the most boring and subjective rule sets out there, and the nogi worlds frankly and sadly aren't much more exciting than the gi worlds these days. They look very similar. Just more RNCs instead of bow and arrow chokes and shit like that. ADCC, FIVE, EBI, Metamoris, these are events where nogi shines as the more exciting form of grappling when it comes to entertainment for the fans.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Metamoris should let the competitors wear whatever they want, even pro wrestling bikini briefs and wrestling shoes like Josh Barnett did
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    You mean "just grapple" and whatever any opponent decides to wear is fair game? Like if Lovato went gi and Yuri went no-gi and let them go at it? That'd be interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast