Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round

So I got to meet Royce Gracie and...

My kids just went to a seminar with Royce. I will say that he was a good teacher. His personal brand of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu incorporates strikes and how to deal with strikes. I was very impressed with that.

At some point during the Q&A period one of he students asked him about Rubber Guard and Mission Control and why he didn't like them. Royce replied that he didn't feel those techniques would work in a real fight.

Thoughts?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Nope. None. Thanks for playing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    A man who knows a lot about riding a bike, is not a master of driving a car. and even he can drive a car it still does not mean he is a master.

in other words. even though he has some amazing jiu jitsu, he doesnt know the first thing about rubber guard, and even if he attempted to learn it or learn to defend it, he would not be a master of it. let him roll with Eddie or one of the other rubberguard masters and let him see what it is like to go with it.

in saying that, if he watched the history of the RG and saw how tis effective and its worked before. he should at least give it some credit.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Talk to nathan orchard, Sean bollinger Ben eddy Prokopos etc... We all have heard this crap before
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    FLMAC/10th planet Ronin
    What are you guys eat before and after jujitsu class?

Array

School
    Tupelo BJJ
    Send your kids to an Eddie Bravo seminar and have them ask him if he thinks the gi helps your no-gi game. I'm dying to know.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Yea it was impressive how he dealt with strikes from back mount versus Hughes. Really saved him the embarrassment of being totally out grappled and further dominated by a lifelong no gi player. From a pure bjj perspective I think we can all apreesh what he did there..

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    He is incorrect in his statement. Eddie specifically designed rubber guard because he was tired of seeing BJJ fighters getting crushed in the UFC. Being stuck in a strong rubber guard players "New York" position is not a good thing for the top opponent. MMA, BJJ, street fight, regardless. I know for a fact it's effective. I still compete in MMA and will give a personal example. My last fight a got hurt bad in the first round with with an overhand right (turned out it gave me a concussion) and spent most of the fight on back against a good wrestler. I did lose the fight by decision, however, that being said, I did win a round while on my back by utilizing rubber guard and nearly caught him in multiple submissions. More importantly, there is no doubt in my mind, if I hadn't been on the offensive using rubber guard, my opponent would've smashed my skull. Rubber guard keeps your opponents posture broken down and arms isolated making it difficult to execute effective ground and pound.
    Many critics say rubber guard doesn't work because "I can get out of it, defend it, ...." countless criticisms. Nothing is 100%. With that mentality, that individual wouldn't use a triangle submission because they could defend it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    Nope. None. Thanks for playing.
    Chalk one up for the new guy ^^^.

Lets stop being so trollable. We really don't need to defend rubber guard with a million pages everytime someone says anything about it. Different strokes for different folks, let it be.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kiernan View Post

At some point during the Q&A period one of he students asked him about Rubber Guard and Mission Control and why he didn't like them. Royce replied that he didn't feel those techniques would work in a real fight.

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are that the Gracies have a cult following and part of maintaining a cult is to disregard, ignore, discredit outside information lest the followers decide that they would prefer to learn from a non Gracie school.

But realistically, unless Royce is delusional (and I think he is), I bet he wishes the Gracies developed the rubber guard so he had something to work with when getting pummeled by Dan Severn. He's very lucky Severn didn't know what a triangle was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast