10th Planet Technique Integration into NON-10th Planet Curriculum

I posed this question below outside of the Nibiru forum seeking non-10th Planet players' responses. I received both unwelcoming responses telling me to go here and genuine responses - all of which I am grateful for reading.

"Do any of you non-[10]th [Planet] players regularly study and incorporate [Eddie Bravo]'s [10]th [Planet] systems into your game? If so, are you catching people off guard regularly?"

Read more: http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/discus...#ixzz3IwbvIOvT

In order to frame the question appropriately for this forum, I ask: To the non-10th Planet players in the Nibiru forum, which parts of the system do you incorporate in your game and found the most success with when rolling with your non-10th Planet players in your gym?

I ask this question because I did not start of my BJJ journey with 10th Planet. It was only about 6 months in that I started dabbling into Mastering the Rubber Guard and eventually signed up for the beginner classes at HQ and now currently occasionally popping in a few of the advanced classes but still sticking mostly to beginner classes with Scott Ross. But bringing the knowledge back to where I go to school and train at the day time, UCLA, I have found success with the lockdown system, some parts twister side control, and the warmups (which REALLY REALLY helped me and my fundamentals a lot!!!). Now with access to Mastering the System, I see that there is so much for me to catch up with and cover. My training partner and I are taking it one position at a time and currently studying the 10th Planet passing game and 10th Planet butterfly game.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Hey Marc,

Great response at the other forum. Respectful but firm.

You mention the warmups in your post and how it has helped you. I teach a class once a week at my school, a BJJ w/ Judo class, and I've slowly incorporated some of the warmups, and I gotta say that the warmups may be the undecorated gem of the system here. I think that what Eddie does is to provide a particular "grammar" through which the chaos of jiu-jitsu can be understood much better, even for beginners. I've created a simple "takedown and throw" warmpup for us, using the 15 minute flow-style here, and what my students like about it is that it covers particular throws, serving as a reminder and reinforcement of a chain of moves. For example, we'll do a ouchi-gari --> uchi mata --> tai otoshi chain. If a new student comes to the class, they'll only warm up with ouchi in this sequence, while those familiar with the three throws will finish the chain at all three throws.

I should mention that my own school, American Top Team, is team known for its MMA program, is particularly receptive to "whatever works for you" approach. Part of this openness is practical, but it's also historical. Ricardo Liborio, the founder of ATT, is a Carlson Gracie student, and Carlson and the "canonical" Gracies had major beef for years, which at its apex found Royce choked out from a Wallid Ismail clock choke. Other moments in the episode included the famous trademark attempt of "Gracie" by Rorion. Anyway, jiu-jitsu sometimes is a huge dysfuctional telenovela with new characters like yourself coming into generational grudges. LOL Enjoy your journey.

Array

School
    Team R.O.C. (10th planet ronin)
    I train at a gi school in raleigh, I get teased for using rubber guard and lockdown, but on the other hand I have caught quite a few people with electric chairs and omaplata's/ DA's if they escape. What I have come to learn is that you use what works for your game. Hope this helps

Array

School
    10th Planet Glasgow
    Are '10th Planet' and 'Eddie Bravo' banned at that website??

"Do any of you non-12th asteroid players regularly study and incorporate reddie eravo 's 12th asteroid systems into your game? If so, are you catching people off guard regularly?"

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Hi Marc,

My gym is not a 10th Planet gym, but we teach "10th Planet techniques" almost every day.

To us, the idea that there are "10th Planet techniques" and "regular techniques" is a perspective that we think will diminish with time. I say that because it seems like (and I'm obviously just repeating what others such as Amir Allam have said more eloguently on this forum) the 10th Planet system is more a philosophy of using whatever works than it is a fixed and permanent curriculum. So, our thinking is that if 10th Planet is evolving and using whatever works and the regular BJJ and other grapplers are evolving and (hopefully) using whatever works, then eventually everyone will be doing very roughly the same things and there will be no distinction in terms of techniques that are only done by 10th Planet guys and "regular techniques".

Also, if everything that works is 10th Planet, and we are trying to only teach the stuff that works in our gym, then you could say that everything we teach could theoretically fall within the "10th Planet system".

So, for us...it's all just effective grappling. We do think that 10th Planet is at the forefront of technical innovation in a lot of ways...so we pay especially close attention to all the 10th Planet stuff. If you asked our students which of the techniques they have learned are 10th Planet and which are not, a lot of them would actually not know which are which since they learn everything together.

But, as things currently stand, there is definitely a certain body of techniques that are distinctly associated with 10th Planet in the minds of most grapplers. We try to teach all of them that we see guys consistently hitting in competition.

Sorry, that was kind of rambling. Hopefully it addressed your question in some small way.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hanley View Post
    Hi Marc,
    To us, the idea that there are "10th Planet techniques" and "regular techniques" is a perspective that we think will diminish with time. I say that because it seems like (and I'm obviously just repeating what others such as Amir Allam have said more eloguently on this forum) the 10th Planet system is more a philosophy of using whatever works than it is a fixed and permanent curriculum.
    Pretty much the same way we think of it at our gym. If we learn a new leglock do we say we learned a Sambo technique? If I learn a new takedown in jitz is it really wrestling or judo? My point is who cares what you call it or where it originated from. Bottom line...does it work for you. If it does put it in your arsenal and if it doesn't then leave it out. Its all grappling to me...you'd have to be one close minded SOB to say 'I dont even want to try this technique because it comes from xxx martial art'. Use what works for you....period.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    It's a bummer how closed minded and dogmatic some people are. Unfortunately I think some people in BJJ are intimidated by techniques they do not understand, don't want to do the homework to keep their skills up to date, so they try to block things.

There was a time when guillotines were looked down on. Same with foot locks. Now people act like they have always been a part of BJJ, but back in the 90s and 00s it wasn't like that.

It will probably be the same way for a lot of 10th Planet moves as things grow and spread.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by NotReady View Post
    It's a bummer how closed minded and dogmatic some people are. Unfortunately I think some people in BJJ are intimidated by techniques they do not understand, don't want to do the homework to keep their skills up to date, so they try to block things.

There was a time when guillotines were looked down on. Same with foot locks. Now people act like they have always been a part of BJJ, but back in the 90s and 00s it wasn't like that.

It will probably be the same way for a lot of 10th Planet moves as things grow and spread.
    100% true.

I remember when I started in '01 or '02, guillotines and footlocks were definitely NOT considered legit.

In fact, even 7 or 8 years later, I had a So-Cal BJJ BB instructor (not one I trained with) tell me that he always considered guillotines and footlocks as a "good strategy for no-gi guys" as a way of implying that no-gi guys could not become technical enough to master other techniques.

I know that was the implication because he also said that 99% of no-gi guys were "NOTHING [emphasis original] on the ground compared to decent purple belts who put their time in with the gi."

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I was uncompromising. Period.

I started jj for me. Not from social pressures or norms, not for my boss or to get laid.. well if it got me laid I wouldnt mind.. thats neither here nor there. This is for me and so I can enjoy my life. Ill be damned if anyone is gonna tell me not to do something fun, when fun is what is what I am seeking. Another thing ive found is if it feels good to do, it looks good to the eye and vice versa. I want my jj to be beautiful AND effective. It is an art after all.

Yea. I did it to get laid..