Array

School
    Jedi Mind Trick Jiu Jitsu

Long legged Butterfly guard

So guys I am 6'7" and compete at 188.5. I have really long flexible legs, and i have a seven foot wingspan. I have recently started to play a lot of butterfly guard, and have been doing pretty well with it. My question is, why do you think most people that play butterfly guard are generally smaller grapplers?

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Marcelo plays butterfly's so do a ton of others. I don't actually think Marcelo walks around that much lighter than you by the way... The smaller the weight class, the more time they tend to have spent in guard in general, but that's not a knock on butterfly guard. I think its actually a great guard game for heavier weight classes.

One thing though, while I do think pretty much everyone can play some sort of game from butterfly guard, limb length isn't really an advantage while playing it. Any closed guard variation, especially a rubberguard, would be a little easier for longer legged guys than shorter legged guys.

Shorter legged guys usually find it easier to bring butterfly's in and out and such though...

Hope this kind of answered your question, but its working for you and is a good guard game... I'd keeping doing it. Don't fall into the trap of "I like butterflys but I'm "SUPPOSED" to be better at such-and-such based on my body type". Just build your own game, its like your fingerprints and will be unique anyway.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    Marcelo plays butterfly's so do a ton of others. I don't actually think Marcelo walks around that much lighter than you by the way... The smaller the weight class, the more time they tend to have spent in guard in general, but that's not a knock on butterfly guard. I think its actually a great guard game for heavier weight classes.

One thing though, while I do think pretty much everyone can play some sort of game from butterfly guard, limb length isn't really an advantage while playing it. Any closed guard variation, especially a rubberguard, would be a little easier for longer legged guys than shorter legged guys.

Shorter legged guys usually find it easier to bring butterfly's in and out and such though...

Hope this kind of answered your question, but its working for you and is a good guard game... I'd keeping doing it. Don't fall into the trap of "I like butterflys but I'm "SUPPOSED" to be better at such-and-such based on my body type". Just build your own game, its like your fingerprints and will be unique anyway.
    Awesome way to put it, coach Debes. I'm about 6'1 190 with long legs and I love butterfly guard. I do think long legs can hinder getting your legs in and out of butterfly guard (especially if you've got big clumsy feet like me) but once you're in tight, it's all pretty similar. I think the trade off of how tough it is to get to butterfly is offset by the extra elevation you can get by being lanky

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bowen View Post
    So guys I am 6'7" and compete at 188.5. I have really long flexible legs, and i have a seven foot wingspan. I have recently started to play a lot of butterfly guard, and have been doing pretty well with it. My question is, why do you think most people that play butterfly guard are generally smaller grapplers?
    If you got long legs, your butterfly game will be Evil if you can put it together.

Array

School
    Tenth Planet Decatur
    God, I can not imagine a 6'7 guy with an amazing butterfly guard.