Thread: Balance

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

Balance

I feel so dumb. I'm just now realizing that balance requires lots of strength. No wonder gymnasts and acrobats are always ripped. I get why cobrinha always does those balance exercises. I def need to incorporate some balance exercises into my workout. Any resources you guys recommend?

Array

School
    10th Planet SF/Melbourne

Slackline

Try slacklining. Don't spend a bunch of money on a 2" trick line. Get 1" tubular webbing (at least 60 feet) and five or six carabiners from a climbing shop.

Array

School
    FLMAC/10th planet Ronin
    Circus #freakdontsleep

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA
    Circuit training, kettle bell, core exercises, strong legs (squats lunges)

Array

School
    10th Planet SF/Melbourne

Slacklining

Try slacklining; I'll provide you more info if you need it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by singer View Post
    Try slacklining; I'll provide you more info if you need it.
    hey dude, ive been wanting to get into slacklining for a while now, is there any cheap way of doing it? everything ive found so far costs hundreds of dollars.

Array

School
    10th Planet SF/Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    hey dude, ive been wanting to get into slacklining for a while now, is there any cheap way of doing it? everything ive found so far costs hundreds of dollars.
    Sure! You need:

20 or 30 meters of 1 inch nylon tubular webbing
    About five carabiners

Both of these you can get at a climbing shop. You need to tie it around a tree/post on one side and then set up a z-pulley with the biners on the other side. You can look this up on the internets, ask a climber, PM me, or figure it out. Helps to get the line wet when you set it up as it dries tight. The 2 inch (poly, not nylon) trick lines suck to walk and are expensive. You can also practice on ropes or chains.

Feel free to his me with questions.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Single legged squats work wonders for balance. Trust me on this one, start with just body weight and then add kettle bells when you're comfortable. Also, yoga is pretty awesome for balance. Just my 2 cents

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    This may sound a bit off, but you could also literally start learning gymnastics. Sure you are never going to medal in it or whatever but you can do it as a training tool. GSP raves about it in his book and he started as an adult. All of my kid's wrestling coaches shower praise on gymnastics for grappling. We had a girl join our wrestling club who had never wrestled in her life but was a gymnast and within a couple of weeks was throwing down with girls who had wrestled for years.