Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Anu Academy

Where does knockout power come from?

I've researched this topic a bit and it seems slightly mixed to me. Some contend that knockout power is something you're born with while others will say that it is in executing proper technique beginning in the feet and up through the legs into a rotation of the hips. Perhaps it is a little of both, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on this and also what are the facts? Please discuss...

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    Hips

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I believe its both. The one thing I'll add is timing!!! You see a fighter get KO and the first thing he asks is what happen. He didn't see what hit him. The perfect timed shot can't be defended. Of course location(of the strike) matters too! Look at Bj Penn's KO of Hughes last night, first thing Matt asked was what happen. That was a beautifully timed strike.
    Last edited by Jack LaBarge; 11-21-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Anderson Silva knocks people out but its been said it doesnt feel like he hits hard, so, I think maybe its a technique thing, although raw power doesnt hurt to have in any situation.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    the k.o comes from force shaking the stem of the brain where it goes into the spine which is right behind the jaw so if someone is not moving or better yet moving forward it doesn't take much fore to cause a k.o, so i think your foot movement and head movement are more important then how hard you can punch a still target. but to get the most power out of your punches you should start by pushing of the ground with your back foot then rotating your hips then throwing the punch.(i think it is called kinetic linking)

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Force = Mass X Acceleration

The ability to close the distance (step in on your punches), timing (sync your breathing and hands to land at the same time your foot touches and drives into your punches), rotating of the hips/core and shoulders into your punch, then recoiling back (think cracking a whip) causing whip lash to get the "ricochet"effect sly is talking about.
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 11-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Rōnin

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Add to what everybody said, stay relaxed while punching or kicking and tense your muscles the instant before making contact with the target.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville
    IMO i believe knockout power isnt something your born with, I believe its a mix of technique, timing, and hitting the right spot. Obviously power is needed to accelerate your fist with enough force to ricochet the brain against the skull.

I also believe that k.o. power starts from the ground and hips. one huge chain of force beggining from the ground, traveling through the body and cracking at the fist to give the explosive power, add the proper technique and timing ont he ruight spot and we have a knockout.

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast