TSA screeners leave cancer survivor covered in urine

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/t...covered-urine/

TSA screeners leave cancer survivor covered in urine

Saturday, November 20th, 2010

A retired teacher from Lansing, Michigan, says he had to walk through an airport and board a plane covered in urine after TSA agents tore open his urostomy bag during a pat-down.

Thomas Sawyer, a 61-year-old survivor of bladder cancer, was flagged for an enhanced screening at Detroit Metropolitan Airport Nov. 7 after a metal detector picked up the urostomy bag in his pants. The medical device collects urine through an opening in the stomach. MSNBC reports:

Due to his medical condition, Sawyer asked to be screened in private. “One officer looked at another, rolled his eyes and said that they really didn’t have any place to take me,” said Sawyer. “After I said again that I’d like privacy, they took me to an office.”

“One agent watched as the other used his flat hand to go slowly down my chest. I tried to warn him that he would hit the bag and break the seal on my bag, but he ignored me. Sure enough, the seal was broken and urine started dribbling down my shirt and my leg and into my pants.”

The security officer finished the pat-down, tested the gloves for any trace of explosives and then, Sawyer said, “He told me I could go. They never apologized. They never offered to help. They acted like they hadn’t seen what happened. But I know they saw it because I had a wet mark.”

Humiliated, upset and wet, Sawyer said he had to walk through the airport soaked in urine, board his plane and wait until after takeoff before he could clean up.

Sawyer says he plans to file a complaint against the TSA. A spokesman for the agency said they will "review the matter and take appropriate action if necessary."

Sawyer's story is the latest in a string of anecdotes that suggests some TSA agents are dismissive or unconcerned with air travelers' medical conditions. In one incident reported earlier this week, a flight attendant who survived breast cancer was forced to expose her prosthetic breast to TSA employees.

Array

School
    Riverside Submission
    Ben Franklin was prophetic...well actually he saw this before I'm sure. Taking away liberty for the safeties sake is nothing new.

We should have never tolerated the Patriot Act

All of these stories infuriate me. Where do they find these agents at? I am sure patting down grandpa with his urostomy bag really helped out our national security.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    "What do you want to do, get blown up by a goddamn Arab at 30,000 feet or we get to see your private parts? It's up to you, the ball's in your park," - head of the TSA's scanning department, Rodney Schroeder

Who's hiring these jerks?