Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round

Seeking advice for my daughter.

I know this is a BJJ oriented forum, but I am starting to feel my daughter is going to have to look outside of standard Folkstyle/Freestyle/Greco-Roman solutions for a problem she is having.

So after a careful analysis and watching my daughter at her last tournament, I am looking for advice. At a recent physical it was revealed to me that my daughter is well above average for height and weight for her age. (She is 9, and weighs 80) so she ends up bracketed with other kids who are above average Height and Weight. The problem is this means that she ends up with boys who in some cases are early developers. One of the kids that really wrecked her at this last tournament was already showing signs of muscle development in his chest and arms. While obviously the first answer is that she is going to need to work on her own upper body strength, what I really need is some advice about good escape techniques that she can use while on the bottom that don't require much strength while working regardless of how strong your opponent is. Once she gets on the floor face down she can generally keep from being turned fairly well but getting back up just never happens. She starts to stand and ends up splattered on the mat again right away. Her current escapes are the Switch, (Works about 10% of the time.) the Buck/Kneeslide (Almost never works), and just standing straight up. (Which works for about two to three seconds before she is smashed right back down.) She is extremely flexible, but is also somewhat clumsy. Thoughts?

Array

School
    N/A
    Sit out. My goto when wrestling guys who were noticeably stronger than I was. It is extremely effective and doesn't allow them to use their weight to crush you. You might have to chain 3 or 4 sit outs together, but it takes a talented wrestler to follow you through 4 sit outs. Don't sit out and stay there or you'll have to worry about being chin dropped. Sit out and roll through, then immediately sit out again or immediately hit a stand up don't wait for your opponent to reset and get comfortable again once in referees position.

Here is a video, not the best breakdown Of the move, but it was the first one I found and it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://youtu.be/kYTjz-9BgSw

Also this is Jordan Burroughs talking about the switch and stand up. Your daughter might be able to pick up a few minor details (the small details are what make a move go from working 10% to 80%)

http://youtu.be/BiCO5ipoiX4

Hope this helps!

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Welcome to my world bruh...been here for years. Its hard for a girl to compete against boys, but what you are doing is a good start by seeking out help. But what helps me is just accepting that she will win some, she will learn some. Sometimes she will run into a boy that is stronger, faster, and has more experience.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Work on her hip movement. Her shrimps have to be killer good. Guard recovery needs to be a priority. Work on sweeps. She also needs to have strong frames. A lockdown game would be good, even if it's just to recover guard or sweep. My favorite thing with big guys is to get on top. But you have to have good control from there. Also, maybe work on aggression.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    This video was not available earlier, but I finally got it up, will give you guys a better idea of what is happening to her.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Do wrestlers play guard?

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Do wrestlers play guard?
    Negative ghostrider.

What I saw in the video is that from the bottom, she is getting broken down before making a move. It's key to make a move before getting broken down, whether it be a standup, sit out, switch, etc. It doesn't really matter. Being on bottom in a wrestling match is tough and grinding. She needs to be relentless and keep moving and not accept being broken down flat.

If she gets taken back to the mat after standing up, pop right back up and do it again, and again, and again. Get wrist control, hips low and away. I wrestled through Division 3 collegiate, and never learned any "easy" ways to escape the bottom. It's hard work. There is a variation on the switch that I learned from a guy at Cornell when I was in high school. From a base position, leap forward and then hit the switch. It creates some space between the bodies and makes the switch higher percentage. If the person on top isn't quick enough to stay tight, they will end up on their face.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    Warrior Way (Caique)
    One major thing I always try to do against bigger and stronger people is try to prevent as much of their game as I can (easier said than done). When big guys rely on their size and strength rather than their technique, they tend to try to go right through someone. If I was in her shoes, I would try to do more circling and focus on more set ups and time circling around people. She could even keep her distance while circling to make the opponent want to make the first move happen instead of circling and waiting for her to open up. If they initiate the first move out of frustration and lack of patience, it is usually not a well set-up and easy to defend move which opens up counters. Another wrestler that circles well will still give her a bit of trouble as this is not the golden answer, just a suggestion. It looked like the takedown was facilitated by the bigger, stronger kid getting her into a push/pull battle. She went backwards, and when she came forward he was already at an angle to make a hard to defend the takedown. Morigan's opponent also used dominant head positioning to make it harder for her to turn and get that angle back on the takedown. Forehead to the temple is dominant head positioning. Temple to temple or forehead to forehead makes it a strength vs strength situation. I hope she didn't already know these things and I just gave you the same old tips you hear all the time lol. Oh yeah, I just noticed, there were a lot of times she scooped his ONE leg and had her head on the outside of his hips. If she is going for a single leg (either on the ground or standing) even if her head is initially on the outside, she will have much more leverage swimming her head into the inside or just simply switching to a double leg instead of switching the head for the single.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Work on turtle escapes man!!!!!!!

Also work on actual turtle guard instead of that limb extended all fours position. She needs to hide her feet so he can't lift them up to force her face to the mat.

Here's a simple and effective escape that will land her in a pin if she pulls it off correctly (posting from phone so can't to the preview window):
    Hook and Roll from Turtle Position: http://youtu.be/IlzmTWfaejs
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    First off, she never quit. Cant teach that.

Switches, sitouts, funkrolls will all help, but I agree with Carson. She needs to focus on footwork and the head fight. At three seconds she loses the headfight and that leads to the takedown. A superior stance and head position can negate strength. Understanding the head and hand fight and footwork with a strong safe stance will help her tons.

She should also address any attempt to control her. I like to shuck collar ties to russian ties and attack with armdrags anytime I see a tricep. When they address this is when she can attack. Attacks should be done in combinations to create angles and superior position.

Basically, the answer lies within traditional folkstyle and greco. Its all just grappling.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast