Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield

[Spoiler] Keenan Cornelius vs Dean Lister, Polaris

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Crazy, it felt weird to me watching it, not sure why.

Array

School
    ABMMA Belchers
    thank you

Array

School
    blank
    felt to me like lister was just collecting a paycheque

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Lister looked gassed. What I really took away from this match is that Keenan used that kimura grip as a way to control Dean and neutralize his strength. I have a great training partner, brown belt, who uses that kimura grip almost like a "position." He'll grab it from the most disadvantageous positions and will keep it until you move.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiseop View Post
    Lister looked gassed. What I really took away from this match is that Keenan used that kimura grip as a way to control Dean and neutralize his strength. I have a great training partner, brown belt, who uses that kimura grip almost like a "position." He'll grab it from the most disadvantageous positions and will keep it until you move.
    Thanks for posting the video man!

I agree. Keenan is awesome at using the kimura from anywhere to get where he needs to be.

IMO it's very helpful to think of most submissions as positions. They become so much more. The kimura really is just a position of control that can ultimately be used to sweep, pass, take the back, switch the armlocks, triangles, darces, arm triangles, or use the classic "kimura finish" to wreck someone's shoulder.

In no-gi it's so important to have a strong kimura grip since we can't grab the gi and there aren't handles. The Atos gang (Mendes brothers, Galvao, JT, Keenan, Frazatto, Ramos, more...) all use a shit load of kimuras in no-gi, and not just to finish the kimura either. Ryan Hall just released a great instructional and there's a whole DVD on the kimura as a position and everything that it can be used for. Here's a chapter list and a preview just to give an idea. It's really helping my game and I have awful kimuras

1. The Kimura Position
    2. Proper Kimura Grip
    3. Elbow Control
    4. Breaking the Grip
    5. Finishing the Kimura
    6. Body Structure
    7. Side Control Kimura
    8. Half Guard Kimura
    9. Backside Half Guard Kimura
    10. Kimura Defense to Deep Half
    11. Kimura to Ezekiel
    12. Kimura to Arm Triangles
    13. Kimura to the Back
    14. Kimura to Armlock
    15. Kimura to Reverse Triangle
    16. Seated Guard Kimura
    17. Guillotine to Kimura
    18. Kimura Crucifix to Reverse Triangle
    19. Transition Drill

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    Great vid! Thanks. I'll check out Ryan's DVD for sure.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Thanks for that post Mike. That kimura concept reminds me a bit of the electric chair. The sub is not always there. But you test it anyway. And from there you can still sweep and pass. So with the kimura, you may not get the sub up front, but if you can get in position, you still have other options. Very cool stuff.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I don't think Lister looked gassed. I think he just wasn't ready with the right game plan. At this point in BJJ, there really are different styles, and just like boxing, kickboxing/MT, or MMA, styles make fights and game plans are needed.

Lister was originally set to match with Popovitch. Keenan and Popovitch are stylistic opposites. I think Lister game planned to be the more submission aggressive guy with more wrestling involved. To beat Keenan, you have to train for Keenan. No way around that.

And if memory serves, I believe the Keenan/Lister ADCC match looked a lot like this Polaris match. Keenan had a similar triangle last time too. I think Keenan just figured out where to adjust to get the finish. Lister looks like he still hasn't figured out what to do with Keenan.

Great match for Keenan.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I don't think Lister looked gassed. I think he just wasn't ready with the right game plan. At this point in BJJ, there really are different styles, and just like boxing, kickboxing/MT, or MMA, styles make fights and game plans are needed.

Lister was originally set to match with Popovitch. Keenan and Popovitch are stylistic opposites. I think Lister game planned to be the more submission aggressive guy with more wrestling involved. To beat Keenan, you have to train for Keenan. No way around that.

And if memory serves, I believe the Keenan/Lister ADCC match looked a lot like this Polaris match. Keenan had a similar triangle last time too. I think Keenan just figured out where to adjust to get the finish. Lister looks like he still hasn't figured out what to do with Keenan.

Great match for Keenan.
    Yeah, it did look real similar. I'll post it for anyone that wants to check it. The big difference obviously is that Keenan had a bunch of subs at ADCC and didn't finish them: http://instagram.com/p/xq7ijahG9O

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast