Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals

The Reality Of Change

Today as I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast, I heard something that really stood out to me, and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Joe and his guest (Katy Bowman, episode #601) were discussing disturbing trends in health and fitness. Specifically, they were discussing "quick fix" diet pills. Bowman said that what she found most offensive about these kinds of products is that they ignored "the reality of change." That reality, she stated, is that change requires time and effort.

Change=time+effort

So elementary, and yet incredibly profound.

We live in a quick fix society. Very few of us are willing to put in the time and effort required to produce real change in our lives in any area; be it our physical health, our Jiu Jitsu, our addiction, our marriage, etc... Name the arena, and we could probably use quite a bit more discipline.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says to me, "Man, I wish I could just come up here and do Jiu Jitsu all day, but I got a real job," as if I rolled out of bed one day and acquired my Brown Belt on a whim. I changed and improved as a practitioner through time and effort. Lots of each. Much of it uncomfortable. But this was the cost, and I was willing to pay it.

There is no magic pill. There is no secret sauce. There are no secret techniques or magical teachers that have the tricks that will set you apart from everyone else. There is only time and effort. The longer the time and the greater the effort, the more profound the change.

There are no overnight successes.

Everyone is crazy over Eddie Cummins right now (rightfully so, might I add). But he didn't magically become a lethal footlocker over the course of a week. Change came to him, as it does all, as a result of time and effort.

As I heard Renzo Gracie eloquently state it once, "You have to be the nail for a long time before you get to be the hammer."

So Ronins and white belts, take good courage. You don't have to worry about finding all the secrets on YouTube anymore. You don't have to spend your money on the newest DVD hoping that it will have the technique that finally gets you that coveted Blue Belt. Those things are nice resources and really helpful, but they are not the magic pill.

Do you want to improve your marriage? It took 10 years to let it fall apart, it won't get fixed overnight. Time and effort are your friends. Do you want to lose weight? It took you 10 years to gain that 40 pounds, don't expect to shed it in a month. Time and effort.

This is the great gift that the martial arts really give those of us who truly embrace them: excellence as a result of discipline. The mats don't lie, and they expose us all as products of our own time and effort.

Here's to hoping that 2015 is a year of tremendous positive change in all of your lives. Whatever change you need in your life can realistically be achieved, no matter how far-fetched it may seem. The question is, are you willing to pay the price to achieve the dream you dream? It really is a simple equation.

Change=time+effort

Brandon Mccaghren
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Austin
    What I needed to hear when i needed to hear it. Thank you Brandon! GOOD SHIT
    http://www.phalanxfc.com[/url]
    submissionchallenge.com/
    Savage Essentials Homemade Soaps

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Today as I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast, I heard something that really stood out to me, and I wanted to share it with you guys.

Joe and his guest (Katy Bowman, episode #601) were discussing disturbing trends in health and fitness. Specifically, they were discussing "quick fix" diet pills. Bowman said that what she found most offensive about these kinds of products is that they ignored "the reality of change." That reality, she stated, is that change requires time and effort.

Change=time+effort

So elementary, and yet incredibly profound.

We live in a quick fix society. Very few of us are willing to put in the time and effort required to produce real change in our lives in any area; be it our physical health, our Jiu Jitsu, our addiction, our marriage, etc... Name the arena, and we could probably use quite a bit more discipline.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says to me, "Man, I wish I could just come up here and do Jiu Jitsu all day, but I got a real job," as if I rolled out of bed one day and acquired my Brown Belt on a whim. I changed and improved as a practitioner through time and effort. Lots of each. Much of it uncomfortable. But this was the cost, and I was willing to pay it.

There is no magic pill. There is no secret sauce. There are no secret techniques or magical teachers that have the tricks that will set you apart from everyone else. There is only time and effort. The longer the time and the greater the effort, the more profound the change.

There are no overnight successes.

Everyone is crazy over Eddie Cummins right now (rightfully so, might I add). But he didn't magically become a lethal footlocker over the course of a week. Change came to him, as it does all, as a result of time and effort.

As I heard Renzo Gracie eloquently state it once, "You have to be the nail for a long time before you get to be the hammer."

So Ronins and white belts, take good courage. You don't have to worry about finding all the secrets on YouTube anymore. You don't have to spend your money on the newest DVD hoping that it will have the technique that finally gets you that coveted Blue Belt. Those things are nice resources and really helpful, but they are not the magic pill.

Do you want to improve your marriage? It took 10 years to let it fall apart, it won't get fixed overnight. Time and effort are your friends. Do you want to lose weight? It took you 10 years to gain that 40 pounds, don't expect to shed it in a month. Time and effort.

This is the great gift that the martial arts really give those of us who truly embrace them: excellence as a result of discipline. The mats don't lie, and they expose us all as products of our own time and effort.

Here's to hoping that 2015 is a year of tremendous positive change in all of your lives. Whatever change you need in your life can realistically be achieved, no matter how far-fetched it may seem. The question is, are you willing to pay the price to achieve the dream you dream? It really is a simple equation.

Change=time+effort

Brandon Mccaghren
    Very awesome post, I agree 100%. Dedication, time and effort will take you anywhere
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Beautifully put, and absolute truth. Sometimes I forget this simple "law" myself. Its always great to have a well worded reminder.

Array

School
    10th planet HQ
    Great read.. Droppin serious knowledge on us! Thanks a lot brotha

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores/Mobile
    Awesome stuff Brandon. Such a good read and thanks.

Array

School
    Kombat Sports/10th Planet Yuma and San Diego (when in the area)
    I am going to share your words with my friends on facebook for sure because it is so true that so many people want a quick fix. The quick fix never solves or achieves anything because it only fails that individual in long run when he or she has to deal with the problem again. I have faced all three of those moments, my marriage needed to be repaired but I took a lot of time and faith in God to fix it. Jiu Jitsu I struggle with constantly and primarily when I compete, and I'm working hard to achieve my blue belt, but I know it takes so much more than winning and subbing people. Last, weight for me only occurs during a cut which (as I write this) am going through. Sometimes it can be easy and feel great while like tonight I feel sick and tired. All these areas are difficult, but no truer words could be spoken that in order to CHANGE you need to put in the time and effort. Dedication and determination go a long way, so do not give up when that wall in front of you does not seem to move, your heart and will, will prove to be insurmountable and you will overcome that hurdle. Thanks for the great words of motivation, just what I needed after feeling completely beaten after rolling tonight.

Array

School
    10p Ronin
    Well said, sir! You are inspirational as always, thank you for sharing!

Array

School
    10th planet Birmingham UK
    Love this mate
    10Wo

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Newport
    Awesome post. I put it up on our Northwest Training Center/10th Planet Eugene fb page. Thanks for putting that out there.
    I started training in 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu in 2006 after serving 4 years in the USAF.
    I became a professional MMA fighter in 2009 and got my blackbelt from Eddie in January of 2016.
    Owner of the Tsunami Training Center in Newport, Oregon.
    http://www.tsunamitc.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast