Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    I feel you man. I'm about to graduate with a bachelor's in biology and have opportunities to go to grad school, which I may still do, but I want nothing more than to teach jiu jitsu full time. My goal is to help infect South Florida with one of its first moons someday.

Key word being "someday" though. A blue belt wouldn't be competitive with all these black belts and coral belts around here. So all I can do is train and get better and keep trudging my path of scholarly achievement.
    I love it, man. I'm definitely not that far along into college, but I'm at a point, where I either accept grants and scholarships to a university, find a traditional career and take the typical route, with jiu jitsu being a lesser priority. Or, do I do and make just enough to get by but invest everything I have into making this a reality one day?

Keep progressing, man, and make it happen. If you build it, they will come. I wish you nothing but success in what ever venture you pursue.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I'm honestly not sure when I made the decision but it was probably about a couple years after starting training when I realized Jiu Jitsu was pretty much all I thought about. It's an obsession.
    I know that feeling, every waking moment, man. I prefer to call it a passion though; obsession has a negative connotation.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham / Banbury uk
    I am working hard in the UK with the goal of one day becoming a moon - I blame the JRE podcast for making me believe I didn't have to do something a hate to make money! ☺️ Time+effort=change!

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
    I love it, man. I'm definitely not that far along into college, but I'm at a point, where I either accept grants and scholarships to a university, find a traditional career and take the typical route, with jiu jitsu being a lesser priority. Or, do I do and make just enough to get by but invest everything I have into making this a reality one day?

Keep progressing, man, and make it happen. If you build it, they will come. I wish you nothing but success in what ever venture you pursue.
    Thanks dude! You as well
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I hope you do man. Florida needs a moon
    Yea me too man. There's been a lot of hopeful planning at different points, but for one reason after another, nothing's been able to pop off. I just wanna do my part to get it going.

Plus the thought of training and teaching jiu jitsu everyday is like buttery barbeque sauce marinade to my hungry ears.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    Thanks dude! You as well
    You're welcome, and thank you, too.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by apygav View Post
    I am working hard in the UK with the goal of one day becoming a moon - I blame the JRE podcast for making me believe I didn't have to do something a hate to make money! ☺️ Time+effort=change!
    Hell yeah! I would be lying if I said the JRE podcast didn't have a similar effect on me! Keep at it, brotha!

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Your question was obviously directed to moon heads so I hope you dont mind me replying.

Great thread buddy!
    I have no doubt what-so-ever that you accomplish any goal you set, I fully expect to see you running your own moon one day.
    If you will it it is no dream. (big lebowski, fuck zionism though)

It does seem like many moon heads have day jobs so Im thinking maybe thats a good thing to keep in mind.

Every time Im around a moon head, Im wondering;
    -do they have another job that pays the bills?
    -how they paid their bills before they were able to make money teaching?
    -if they make money now and how much?
    -how did they transition?

Honestly I'd like to teach Biology at a community college during the day and at night I want to be the Schwartz to your (Kevins) Orchard in Seattle. So far in life every goal that I stated to other people, Ive accomplished, so even though it seem impossible, I have to think it may happen.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    Your question was obviously directed to moon heads so I hope you dont mind me replying.

Great thread buddy!
    I have no doubt what-so-ever that you accomplish any goal you set, I fully expect to see you running your own moon one day.
    If you will it it is no dream. (big lebowski, fuck zionism though)

It does seem like many moon heads have day jobs so Im thinking maybe thats a good thing to keep in mind.

Every time Im around a moon head, Im wondering;
    -do they have another job that pays the bills?
    -how they paid their bills before they were able to make money teaching?
    -if they make money now and how much?
    -how did they transition?

Honestly I'd like to teach Biology at a community college during the day and at night I want to be the Schwartz to your (Kevins) Orchard in Seattle. So far in life every goal that I stated to other people, Ive accomplished, so even though it seem impossible, I have to think it may happen.
    I don't mind at all, Aaron. I said "...aspiring..." too for more perspectives on it.

Thank you. I appreciate it. First thread! I love the support. It just makes me want to work even harder and dedicate my life to this to prove everyone right.

That's very true. I'm doing my best to develop a plan B, even if it's only to support my plan A.
    I ask myself the same questions. I wonder how many have regular jobs, and how many are doing this full time as a way to make a living. I'd rather scrap by and do this for life than follow any other route and do well, financially.

Everything that exists today, was just an idea at a time. So, I don't rule anything as impossible. That's the spot to be though! Still in the PNW! I like the way you think, man.
    I have my work cut out for me. I want to get both my skills up and my kills up and work hard to make this a reality.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Ahh you did say aspiring.

I have no doubt you'll accomplish any goal you set. Im sure that goes for anyone thats knows you.

I remember Zog posting something not too long ago on FB about how he got free of working a regular job (in real estate I think) and finally switched over to only coaching. If I recall correctly he thanked his wife for her support over the years, which seems to be a universal thing for anyone that is highly accomplished in BJJ.

Seems all our women are more than happy to sacrifice so that their guys can accomplish their bjjj goals, not that this makes its easy to ask them to do it.

Steve Maxwell had some interesting things to say about it (I believe it was on JRE) He was talking about how women would rather be with a guy pursuing his true passions than working a regular job even if there are sacrifices that come with that. He had some other things to say about it but that part stuck with me.

With the seattle spot though I think you could make good money without a backup job. Those that dont know you, probably think its crazy to be talking of such goals at this point but I know better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast