Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions

These questions are primarily for Chris Herzog, but all are welcome to chime in...

My instructor recently taught the class a new leg attack the other day that Bruno Frazatto shows from another position in his super nogi techniques dvd called ankle lock from open guard and I can't find a video of it so I'll try my best to describe it. Let's say I'm on top in my opponent's reverse half guard and I'm to his left. I then reach with my right arm and underhook his left lower calf or achilles. If his legs are crossed, I'll separate them with my feet and leg lace his right leg. After this, I gable grip my hands and point my left elbow down on the outside of my opponents foot. So now I essentially have my opponent's foot in a vice grip exactly like a Japanese Necktie and all I have to do is rotate my left elbow clockwise for a toe hold like submission.

Hopefully I described that well enough to give you a visual idea of the submission so I can ask you these questions:

Is there a name for this ankle lock in Sambo?

If so, what is it called?

I've pulled this move off from 50/50 guard with some success, do you think it could make 50/50 a more relevant finishing position against a Sambo player?

If not, why?
    Last edited by Jon Watkins; 11-23-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I'm not totally following your description of the transition a video would be far more helpful in answering your question. However I think you are basically describing what I refer to as a "over/under calf crush" also sometimes referred to as the "double ankle lock". If its the same thing I'm thinking it is, its used alot as a counter submission to the 50/50 guard, and other potions where you opponent has his ankles crossed.

Sambo players like BJJ players often specialize in certain areas (like being a 1/2 guard expert vs a open guard expert) each will have their own strengths and weaknesses, some Sambo instructors focus more on throws and armlocks vs. leglocks, all depending on how they teach and what their goals are. So a more important question to ask is whether the technique can be rep'd, drilled and used against a resistant partner/opponent on a consistent basis, basically....is it functional?
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 11-23-2010 at 10:04 AM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Is this similar to what your talking about?

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    His legs aren't crossed. I still can't find a video. How 'bout I describe it from 50/50. Instead of going for the reverse heel hook, I'll underhook with the arm that isn't under the heel kind of like I'm going for a darce except underhooking the leg instead of the arm and neck, clasp my hands with a gable grip, point my outside elbow, that would usually be under the heel, down on the outside of his foot and make a toehold motion.
    Last edited by Jon Watkins; 11-23-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Is this similar to what your talking about?

No that's what Ryan Hall calls the Texas Cloverleaf. I've seen that one a long time ago.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    His legs aren't crossed. I still can't find a video. How 'bout I describe it from 50/50. Instead of going for the reverse heel hook, I'll underhook with the arm that isn't under the heel kind of like I'm going for a darce except underhooking the leg instead of the arm and neck, clasp my hands with a gable grip, point my outside elbow, that would usually be under the heel, down on the outside of his foot and make a toehold motion.
    Ahh ok I gotcha now. Its not a grip I use, however one of my leg lockers, Sarkis, does use it quite often, and to good effect. I think he got it from an Imanari video. My caution to him was to watch how much space he is creating when underhooking the leg, sweaty legs + space = good opportunity to escape.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Valdez View Post
    Hahahahaha!! I actually wrote that last part for you and SponginBob, because of my Black/Brown Belt question thread from the old site.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    As for a name, none that I'm aware of. Sambo, like Judo, uses generic terms to cover a variety of techniques. Example: Ude Garami or bent arm lock cover: kimuras, americanas, bicep slicers, forearm crushes,etc. all under the same umbrella. It would be considered a "variation" of an ankle lock/toe hold.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Thanks Chris. I only asked for a name to see if Igor Yakimov or Reilly Bodycomb had any videos out on it. And I usually only attempt this from the Leg Lace if I'm having trouble pulling off the generic toe hold or the achilles footlock, but I see some potential in using it from 50/50 and since you're the resident 50/50 critic, I thought maybe you'd have some interesting imput on the sub from that position. Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast