Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Buena park/CM
    I have a question its kind of off the topic but its about being new. I just started a week ago, I have no experience but I'm learning fast and some of the instructors want me to try a local comp sub only. I don't have any gear... is it frowned upon for me to buy myself some sick spats and a 10th planet rash guard. I mean 1/2 is representing 10th planet and well I don't have any real spats. My question is would people make fun of me for pretty much being a white belt wearing gear? or should i just wait until I've come up in the game a little?
    to clarify I'm not trying to "look all sick" its about getting better, and having proper attire at events and training. opinion?

[QUOTE]Begin to analyse why you got tapped / smashed in sparring. You will rapidly find that it helps you create / find concepts. Your training partners shouldn't need to talk you through it... it is achievable through reflection/analysis and deep thought./QUOTE]

THIS

Keep a journal or make mental note of where you usually find yourself or how you're getting submitted. In the beginning all I worked on was how to become comfortable and as untappable as possible while mounted. Then I saw I could catch a leg and work half-guard bottom relatively easy instead of getting mounted. Now I'm working on my sweeps from half. As for my top game, I was always finding myself inside people's closed guard and getting triangled and armbarred, so I started obsessing about not getting caught inside people's closed guards. This led to me bugging higher belts about their best strategies for takedowns to avoid landing in closed guard. Now I'm finding myself much more in side control.

So you set little goals for yourself based on what your opportunities are and keep working on them. When you solve those opportunities, other opportunities for growth will present themselves. I also find that higher belts are very gracious with their time right after class or before, especially if your questions are specific. They usually enjoy the opportunity to show you some cool stuff.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    I think it would be cool if higher belts rolled easier and lighter with lower belts. Maybe start the roll in a bad position and thereby giving the lower belt a chance to work on submissions. Or maybe each time he submits the lower belt, the higher belt person would pass on a tip about what the lower belt can do to avoid that situation in the future. When I trained in karate, many of the sparring sessions were along those lines.

In BJJ, I don't find much of that. I've had guys submit me 10 times in a 5 minute roll and not offer a bit of advice. Even Eddie states that you should seek out the lower belts and prey on them like wounded gazelles to practice your submissions (he also says you should seek out the higher belts to work your defense). The bottom line is, in BJJ, you're sort of gonna get your ass kicked until you get your skills up.

However, it is important to note that if you talk to guys after training, 99% of them will give you any information you ask. Just about anyone will tell you their go-to move and even how to escape it. And somehow, in the end, you make it through white belt and you eventually become decent at BJJ. So while I wouldn't mind the sparring sessions being a bit different, I have to admit that the current system used in the BJJ academies I've trained at, does indeed work.

Array

School
    Adam Ryan MMA/Chekmat Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    I think it would be cool if higher belts rolled easier and lighter with lower belts. Maybe start the roll in a bad position and thereby giving the lower belt a chance to work on submissions. Or maybe each time he submits the lower belt, the higher belt person would pass on a tip about what the lower belt can do to avoid that situation in the future. When I trained in karate, many of the sparring sessions were along those lines.

In BJJ, I don't find much of that. I've had guys submit me 10 times in a 5 minute roll and not offer a bit of advice. Even Eddie states that you should seek out the lower belts and prey on them like wounded gazelles to practice your submissions (he also says you should seek out the higher belts to work your defense). The bottom line is, in BJJ, you're sort of gonna get your ass kicked until you get your skills up.

However, it is important to note that if you talk to guys after training, 99% of them will give you any information you ask. Just about anyone will tell you their go-to move and even how to escape it. And somehow, in the end, you make it through white belt and you eventually become decent at BJJ. So while I wouldn't mind the sparring sessions being a bit different, I have to admit that the current system used in the BJJ academies I've trained at, does indeed work.
    At the end of the day , it looks like everyone is on their own and you learn your way up by getting smashed over and over again . It does make big sense I suppose

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Whether you decide to help them or just smash them, I think it's important to be encouraging and make new students feel welcome so they don't quit before they give it a real chance. The noob you smash today could be a phenom tomorrow that makes everyone in your gym better

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I help. If someone is repeatedly making a fundamental mistake, it isn't enjoyable at all for me to keep capitalizing, when small adjustments could make the roll completely different. I'll show and explain a single principle that they can look for during the roll. Just principles, techs are for class. I have been known to tech out as well tho.

I do this for multiple reasons. The main one being I want students to critically think about jj, realize why proper tech is so effective, and come to me and talk about jj. Where they're getting stuck, what they're having success with, something that they would like to drill, etc. I don't see free rolling as this inflexible time where you only spar as hard as you can. It should be mostly that, but in the end, it's whatever makes you a better grappler tomorrow. Being tough and in shape is huge, but knowing the game is everything. If I walked out onto a cricket pitch right now, I would be running around and not playing at all. I know jackshit about cricket. You can't play till you know the rules and develop a strategy. I help with that.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Smash'em white belts aren't real people!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Smash'em white belts aren't real people!
    So basically, we're gingers coach?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12