Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Adam Ryan MMA/Chekmat Vancouver

Higher level helping out the lower level

Hello all , I am gonna start off saying over the past year or 2 maybe , I have been the on/off , and more off person in BJJ , either from getting lazy , or heath or injury . So basically , I would get into it , learn some stuff , then be off and forget shit , and basically everytime I start again , it is as if its my first class again . So in saying that , I am a beginner .
    So my question is , as a beginner who goes to class , and has to roll with someone in a higher level , and in my case , i feel like i know nothing , so when it comes to rolling , I get caught stalling because I dont know what to do, should that higher level person kind of guide the beginner ??should they help them understand what to do next ? or , should they let that person kinda figure it out on their own on the way ?

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    Personally I think there should be a bit of both. I find that I remember things for much longer when I figure it out on my own. However its always great when the higher level person helps me out, because I never would have thought of what they told me (if that makes sense)

Array

School
    Ronin
    Try to learn concepts.

What helped me most was when I stopped looking for techniques and started to pick up concepts:

Always go for the underhook when in 1/2.
    Always look to isolate an arm when in mount.
    Always look to get under your opponent when sweeping.
    Always take a post out of the game when playing butterfly.

Not only are these applicable to more situations than 'arm bar', but they are harder to forget once you begin using them.

Begin to analyse why you got tapped / smashed in sparring. You will rapidly find that it helps you create / find concepts. Your training partners shouldn't need to talk you through it... it is achievable through reflection/analysis and deep thought.

Array

School
    Leverage Cortland ohio
    At our gym you have to be a 3 striped white belt before you can roll. If I was rolling with you I wouldn't throw my A game at you. I would try and work my weakest techniques and try and get better with you. Allow you an opportunity to work your technique and see if I can pick something up from you.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Hmm. I'm not sure what I would do if you attended our school like that. I still roll really hard with people even when they're out for awhile. I agree with trying to learn concepts, best way to learn.. Concepts and principals. I think that no, they should not help you out when rolling, but at the end of the roll maybe ask for tips on how to get better. Or ask where you really messed up...why you got submitted so fast. But. Really don't enjoy people talking to me when rolling. But am happy to help after.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    Ronin
    If I have questions I usually wait until after the roll is over. Same for if I notice somebody struggling or if someone makes the same mistake a couple times, I wait until we're done rolling and then I will go back and recreate the position and help them work through it. I find it annoying when somebody wants to stop mid-roll to ask questions.

Array

School
    Leverage Cortland ohio
    I don't think rolling hard 100% of the time is smart. Especially when I'm rolling with a good purple or brown belt. When I know I'm out classed I treat it like a private lesson and really try and pick up what there doing. I don't really care if I get submitted by anyone as long as I know why and or I'm learning from it. When I roll with my own rank I like to go hard and polish my A game. If it's a white belt I play and try new things. I don't care for a lot of talking either. I'm trying concentrate and outside of saying good pass or sweet move...

Array

School
    All great answers . I really like the idea you suggested Apperz , and it's something I will definitely incorporate into my training .

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Tiganis View Post
    Hello all , I am gonna start off saying over the past year or 2 maybe , I have been the on/off , and more off person in BJJ , either from getting lazy , or heath or injury . So basically , I would get into it , learn some stuff , then be off and forget shit , and basically everytime I start again , it is as if its my first class again . So in saying that , I am a beginner .
    So my question is , as a beginner who goes to class , and has to roll with someone in a higher level , and in my case , i feel like i know nothing , so when it comes to rolling , I get caught stalling because I dont know what to do, should that higher level person kind of guide the beginner ??should they help them understand what to do next ? or , should they let that person kinda figure it out on their own on the way ?
    Hi, awesome you continue to come back against the grain. When you come back, you may only know that one stall technique/escape/submission("x"). Start with that. Get really good at just that, since that's all you'll know. After a while you will have so many reps on that "x" that you'll pick up another, say "y". "y" is all you'll rep over and over again, and in times of trouble go back to your "x", your familiar spot.

For some the journey is longer than others. I know a guy that took 18 years to achieve his black belt. The point is he never gave up, through the slow times and the fast times, a rule of thumb is to always build on something small.

Array

School
    Thanks Slick Rick !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast