Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round

Bia Mesquita challenges Ronda Rousey?

I guess this happened a little while ago, but I have always wished they would bring some ladies to Metamoris.

Who do you think would win?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/1/...s-ronda-rousey

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    The more UFC fighters that get involved in Meta, the better! But I also suspect this is hype. Ronda has trained enough BJJ to know what's going to happen to her on the mat with one of the baddest ladies to put on a gi.

I wonder what a girl like Gabi Garcia would say about that quote:

Attachment 3193

I bet Gabi could submit Ronda with an over-under just by squeezing her till she shits herself.

She's 6'2", 235.. Ronda walks around at probably 150lb or so? Ronda's quote is not only arrogant, it's ignorant.

She's obviously still working on technique, but look at this power:
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 01-24-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Gabi's comments about it are in this article. http://www.bjjee.com/featured/rousey...appling-match/

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    I dunno man McKenzie Dern did pretty good against her today in the European Open you should check it out. "I bet you'd be suprised." Lol
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Herrera View Post
    I dunno man McKenzie Dern did pretty good against her today in the European Open you should check it out. "I bet you'd be suprised." Lol
    Yeah it was impressive when Mackenzie took her back there for a second. Serious David v Goliath. Mackenzie doesn't even come up to her shoulder. Of course, Goliath won and dominated most of the match.

Last edited by Craig Murray; 01-25-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    The more UFC fighters that get involved in Meta, the better! But I also suspect this is hype. Ronda has trained enough BJJ to know what's going to happen to her on the mat with one of the baddest ladies to put on a gi.

I wonder what a girl like Gabi Garcia would say about that quote:

Attachment 3193

I bet Gabi could submit Ronda with an over-under just by squeezing her till she shits herself.

She's 6'2", 235.. Ronda walks around at probably 150lb or so? Ronda's quote is not only arrogant, it's ignorant.

She's obviously still working on technique, but look at this power:
    No disrespect to Hillary Williams, but if she could throw Gabi with a seoi nage Ronda would put her through the floor. Sometimes people hit moves out of nowhere and there is the element of surprise, I imagine Gabi would change her strategy against Ronda, but I still think she is primarily a top player, right? Her getting put on her back could change things significantly.

Don't want to badmouth Gabi either, but I just think it's ridiculous that we are talking about her skill as it pertains to competing against people 50-100 pounds less than her. It's not her fault (outside of some suspicious drug tests, that is) that she has the size advantage she does, but I would be most intrigued to see her compete against a skilled opponent her size or bigger. Don't think there are too many of those in BJJ, but I bet Ronda's sport (Judo) might have some interesting options.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NotReady View Post
    I just think it's ridiculous that we are talking about her skill as it pertains to competing against people 50-100 pounds less than her
    To be fair here, the conversation was initiated with Ronda's quote.

Traditionally martial arts teaches practitioners to be humble, respectful, modest. Ronda must have missed those classes, because, in my opinion, she is a terrible example of how a champion should act. She's always talking shit, and in this case about a sport she doesn't even compete in. She veils it in some half-ass attempt to "give judo the respect it deserves", but all she really does is make herself look like a shithead.

I accept the fact that UFC fighters have to talk shit for Dana, to hype the fight, to get themselves a bigger paycheck. But when you start talking shit outside your own sport, that's not hype, it's just an unchecked ego. She's horribly arrogant and not at all afraid to demonstrate it at a moment's notice.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    To be fair here, the conversation was initiated with Ronda's quote.

Traditionally martial arts teaches practitioners to be humble, respectful, modest. Ronda must have missed those classes, because, in my opinion, she is a terrible example of how a champion should act. She's always talking shit, and in this case about a sport she doesn't even compete in. She veils it in some half-ass attempt to "give judo the respect it deserves", but all she really does is make herself look like a shithead.

I accept the fact that UFC fighters have to talk shit for Dana, to hype the fight, to get themselves a bigger paycheck. But when you start talking shit outside your own sport, that's not hype, it's just an unchecked ego. She's horribly arrogant and not at all afraid to demonstrate it at a moment's notice.
    She's getting clicks, people are googling her, people are talking about her. Like you said, the UFC is a business and she is doing everything right for them.

It's also dicey to compare a traditional martial art and a martial sport, or Olympic sport. Champions are hyper competitive, often have to be selfish. It's really tough to compare an Olympic athlete to a casual practitioner at your local dojo. Not saying this is what you are trying to do, but it does need to be considered. Lots of Judo folks who even hate MMA share Ronda's feelings.

I don't know Ronda personally so I can't say anything about her as a person, her ego, whatever. She seemed super cool on the Mastering the System episodes she was on.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NotReady View Post
    She's getting clicks, people are googling her, people are talking about her..
    I suspect that's due to the way she's dominated her division and her incredible skill-set, and not her shit-talking about how she can beat any woman in the world in BJJ.

It's really tough to compare an Olympic athlete to a casual practitioner at your local dojo.
    I don't think the lessons in humility pertain only to the casual practitioner. In fact I would posit that they pertain MORE to the most successful. The ambassadors of the sport, if you will.

I don't know Ronda personally so I can't say anything about her as a person, her ego, whatever. She seemed super cool on the Mastering the System episodes she was on.
    Yeah, maybe it's all an act to sell UFC pay-per-views. If so, then she really does deserve to be in Hollywood films because her acting skills are second only to her armbar technique.

You know, to me there is a very good analogy to Eddie vs the older generation of Gracies. Eddie's first book goes on for page after page, specifically giving respect and bowing to individual Gracie family members and their contribution to JJ and Martial Arts in general. On the other side of the coin you have Royce and Royler, who's public attitudes are... well... shitty.

Ronda says a lot of shit publicly that, to me, sound a lot more like something Royce would say than something Eddie would say.

Eddie's public persona is incredibly humble. I've never met him, maybe in person he's a huge douche, I don't know. But I'm not really buying the idea that because you are an Olympic Athlete it gives you a pass to be a shit.

Most Olympians I've heard interviewed seems extremely gracious and humble. And in most cases their couches would probably murder them if they came out talking a bunch of shit about their competitors.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 01-26-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    I suspect that's due to the way she's dominated her division and her incredible skill-set, and not her shit-talking about how she can beat any woman in the world in BJJ.

I don't think the lessons in humility pertain only to the casual practitioner. In fact I would posit that they pertain MORE to the most successful. The ambassadors of the sport, if you will.

Yeah, maybe it's all an act to sell UFC pay-per-views. If so, then she really does deserve to be in Hollywood films because her acting skills are second only to her armbar technique.

You know, to me there is a very good analogy to Eddie vs the older generation of Gracies. Eddie's first book goes on for page after page, specifically giving respect and bowing to individual Gracie family members and their contribution to JJ and Martial Arts in general. On the other side of the coin you have Royce and Royler, who's public attitudes are... well... shitty.

Ronda says a lot of shit publicly that, to me, sound a lot more like something Royce would say than something Eddie would say.

Eddie's public persona is incredibly humble. I've never met him, maybe in person he's a huge douche, I don't know. But I'm not really buying the idea that because you are an Olympic Athlete it gives you a pass to be a shit.

Most Olympians I've heard interviewed seems extremely gracious and humble. And in most cases their couches would probably murder them if they came out talking a bunch of shit about their competitors.
    Clicks is one metric, but also fighter pay. Ronda would not be getting paid what she is if not for the attention she draws and PPV buys she generates with her talking. It's the Chael Sonnen effect. Or the Conor McGregor effect.

Acting goes both ways, too. There are a lot of starts in our sports (and others) out there that have reputations as nice, humble guys who are in reality the exact opposite. And to your point, real or not, if that example is emulated in the community the net result is good. In some ways if the lid remains on these folks can still be effective ambassadors, but a lot can be said for authenticity.

I think we agree so I don't want to get off on the wrong foot. I feel like we both get it. Stuff like this is not my cup of tea either, but it is what it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast