Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dont know what my next step should be... any help is appreciated

Hi my name is chris and in September of 2014 i fell in love with Jiu Jitsu.

I went to visit a friend a who has been training for over a year, and after he showed me Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie fight in metamoris i knew i had to start training. I came back to Miami and decided to find a school but unfortunately there is no 10th Planet in Miami . I began to watch a lot of 10th Planet videos and loved the way the classes worked, the concept of no Gi and Eddies techniques, but like i said there wasn't a 10th planet school around so i decided to join a school near my job. I visited the school and liked the people and the instructor so the same day of the free class i signed up and bought a Gi. I began to attend 5 times a week(September 5) at 6 am till about 9 am when i had to go to work and began learning. After about a month and a half i received my first strip on my white belt and i was so happy and had seen a lot of improvement so i was super proud. In December 20 there was a promotion in our school and i had been working hard so i wasn't expecting a strip but was really curious if i had earned it. To my surprise i received my blue belt and when i was called up to receive it i was very shocked my girlfriend was there and she told me my face was just confused and shocked. Other white belts got promoted to blue belts and thats when i began to feel weird about it all. My friend came down to visit saw i had my belt and was also very shocked, he still has his white belt and has been training for a year and a couple months now. I wanted to roll with him to see where we matched and not to my surprise he had a lot of skill over me. So i decided to take some time from that school and see my options.

I really want to train the !0th Planet system but I'm Located in Miami, FL.

I was thinking of watching the videos and do the warm ups and try to do them at home since i have space and already ordered some mats. I also have some friends that would be happy to train and exercise so there is that option.

Sorry for the long rant but if you guys have any suggestion or advice to what i should do i would really appreciated it.

thanks again

chris

Array

School
    10th Planet Glasgow
    Did you pay to attend your Promotion ceremony? White Belt > Blue Belt in 3 months is absurd, especially if you have no previous experience? What is the school called? Affiliation?

My opinion is that your current gym is shite. Perhaps you are a BJJ prodigy and deserve a Blue belt after 3 months but your friend beating you (who has trained for 1.5 years) kinda counters that theory.

Many people train 10th Planet techniques and generaly call themselves Ronin, so doing a search here for 'Ronin' would probably be a good idea, also check out all the Mastering the System videos and watch the Warm Up Series' which you can find on 10th Planet Decatur's YouTube profile.

Find a new school that you feel comfortable with. Practice 10th Planet stuff whever you have the chance. Visit your enarest 10th Planet school when you have the chance

Array

School
    FLMAC/10th planet Ronin
    Check out lotus jiujitsu they are 10th planet friendly. They used to host 10th planet Miami hotbox.

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Find a good local school to train at and develop your fundamentals, Daniel De Lima is in south Miami. Study the 10th planet system soak up all you can and make trips for seminars and to visit affiliates. It's only a matter of time before you have a 10th planet near you, 10th planet is taking over the world.

Yeah i was charged for the belt after the ceremony and i wouldn't want to put the schools info since i don't want to bash them just find a way to train the system.

thank you both for your advice i will look into it! I actually just called Lotus and im going today to try a class.

Thank you for the map! and yes i wanna keep working on my fundamentals i know it takes hard work to do anything.

Man thank you guys i didnt know if i was going to get replies haha

thank you so much !

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vivas View Post
    Hi my name is chris and in September of 2014 i fell in love with Jiu Jitsu.

I went to visit a friend a who has been training for over a year, and after he showed me Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie fight in metamoris i knew i had to start training. I came back to Miami and decided to find a school but unfortunately there is no 10th Planet in Miami . I began to watch a lot of 10th Planet videos and loved the way the classes worked, the concept of no Gi and Eddies techniques, but like i said there wasn't a 10th planet school around so i decided to join a school near my job. I visited the school and liked the people and the instructor so the same day of the free class i signed up and bought a Gi. I began to attend 5 times a week(September 5) at 6 am till about 9 am when i had to go to work and began learning. After about a month and a half i received my first strip on my white belt and i was so happy and had seen a lot of improvement so i was super proud. In December 20 there was a promotion in our school and i had been working hard so i wasn't expecting a strip but was really curious if i had earned it. To my surprise i received my blue belt and when i was called up to receive it i was very shocked my girlfriend was there and she told me my face was just confused and shocked. Other white belts got promoted to blue belts and thats when i began to feel weird about it all. My friend came down to visit saw i had my belt and was also very shocked, he still has his white belt and has been training for a year and a couple months now. I wanted to roll with him to see where we matched and not to my surprise he had a lot of skill over me. So i decided to take some time from that school and see my options.

I really want to train the !0th Planet system but I'm Located in Miami, FL.

I was thinking of watching the videos and do the warm ups and try to do them at home since i have space and already ordered some mats. I also have some friends that would be happy to train and exercise so there is that option.

Sorry for the long rant but if you guys have any suggestion or advice to what i should do i would really appreciated it.

thanks again

chris
    The beauty of 10th planet is that they are open-minded. You're really blessed to be in a great jiu jitsu city. I would go check out Roberto 'Cyborg' Abreu's school. The dude is a beast. Also, Valente Brothers Jiu Jitsu comes straight from Helio Gracie. You'll learn the fundamentals from a great source there as well. Miami is loaded, even though there's no 10th planet. But you do have this website and who knows where life will take you.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Hello Chris,
    I'm Kiko, I'm a 10th Planet Ronin who was one of the original members of the 10th Planet Miami Hotbox. If you'd like to train I'd love to train with you. A lot of the original 10P Miami hotbox members got really busy with kids, new jobs, school, moving out of town, injury recovery, etc. Lotus Club in Kendall Miami is definitely a 10th Planet friendly school and I am good friends with the head jiu jitsu instructor/owner Arvin "Ace" Panlasigui who's a Lotus Club black belt. PM me so we can coordinate schedules to setup training sessions. I'm big on training static drills on top of live rolling. What I take away from what Coach Eddie said, "If you're not drilling the technique perfectly, it'll be useless."

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    Hello Chris,
    I'm Kiko, I'm a 10th Planet Ronin who was one of the original members of the 10th Planet Miami Hotbox. If you'd like to train I'd love to train with you. A lot of the original 10P Miami hotbox members got really busy with kids, new jobs, school, moving out of town, injury recovery, etc. Lotus Club in Kendall Miami is definitely a 10th Planet friendly school and I am good friends with the head jiu jitsu instructor/owner Arvin "Ace" Panlasigui who's a Lotus Club black belt. PM me so we can coordinate schedules to setup training sessions. I'm big on training static drills on top of live rolling. What I take away from what Coach Eddie said, "If you're not drilling the technique perfectly, it'll be useless."
    Thank you kiko just messaged you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast