Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Garage

Wrestling or Jiu Jitsu

I am in high school right now and i am decideing whether to do wrestling or jiu jitsu. I have wrestled for 2 years before and have seen how importan it is to take someone down in jiu jitsu. Now i am debating whether to join wrestling and keep on getting better on my takedowns or just do jiu jitsu. Also i would like to know if doing wrestling or jiu jitsu now will affect on a possible future career in MMA.

Array

School
    Ronin
    both
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    N/A
    hi

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    Both for sure

Array

School
    Pardee Combat/CoringaoBJJ (Future home of 10th Planet Jiujitsu Ballground, GA)
    If you are able to do both, you can bet that it will improve your game on both sides of the table. Although you have to be good at remembering which game your playing...lol. I wrestled all through High School, and I was on the Wrestling club team at my college(we didnt have a program) and I always used my Jiujitsu, sambo, and Judo background to aid in my wrestling, but also used my wrestling to aid in those sports as well. If you have the time, and money to do both, def do both!
    Coringao

Array

School
    10th Planet Essex Hotbox
    Dude both will help with future mma career.

Array

School
    Mission: Submissions
    Definitely both. I wrestled for 8 years and now do Jiu Jitsu because there is no wrestling here. I love both.

They will both aid greatly for MMA. Wrestling has awesome takedowns and great ways to attack the turtle position. And Jiu Jitsu has amazing ground techniques.
    Last edited by Heidi McCreery; 08-24-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    I'm gonna go with something different here and say both.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Both for sure the position will be different. You will develope an awesome base and body awareness will be better doing both. Plus you will need both for mma. 20 years wrestling 4 years jiu jitsu.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Focus on not only jj, but more specifically 10p and your flexability. Its about to be all over the place in mma and is a pretty damn good counter to wrestling. I've rolled and sparred a lot of wrestlers and the ones that give me problems are up in weight classes. If you wan't to finish a fight with beautiful violence, 10p. To bad theres no scholarships.

A wrestlers training mentality is a huge benefit though if you need to gain fitness or agility.
    Last edited by bobby rivers; 08-24-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast