Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Did it start hurting while working your guard or while stretching? And what stretches are you doing?
    is it the inside or outside of the knee? Do you feel a burning sensation?

Make sure your doing hip specific flexibility drills. Anytime you pull on the leg below the knee there is a danger of over stressing the knee in an attempt to increase hip flex. You see this when guys are working lotus and rg even more so. In RG there is less perspective because your working in a 360 sphere, plus when your sooooo close to a move or position in the heat of a roll you can pull just that inch too far. When ever I piss my knees off my half guard game goes up a notch Don't get frustrated it's a long term project.
    Keep your stick on the ice TO THE 10TH POWER!!!

Just a chance for you to master that weak side.

Array

School
    10th Planet Victoria
    My strong side is everyone else's weak side. I had an injury a few years ago to my lower back which prevented me from using the traditional "hug the left leg". I had to switch to being a right leg hugger. This has some advantages because 90% of the population are right hand dominate and when you attack their left side, it cause all sorts of problems.
    ---------------------
    www.fiercestudio.ca home of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Victoria
    Owner of Submissions 101

“To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.”-Elbert Hubbard

K Madden

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Bolden View Post
    My strong side is everyone else's weak side. I had an injury a few years ago to my lower back which prevented me from using the traditional "hug the left leg". I had to switch to being a right leg hugger. This has some advantages because 90% of the population are right hand dominate and when you attack their left side, it cause all sorts of problems.
    saaaaaaaaame exact thing here. most RG peeps seem to plan on the left leg coming up. when my right does...it throws them off.
    tis nice sometimes.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Right Leg Rubber Guard-ers Unite!

Array

School
    Jay Pages Jiu-Jitsu/CTA
    Quote Originally Posted by watty31 View Post
    Its probably hurting because you might have been trying to play rubber guard when your flexibility wasn't quite good enough, thus you end up pulling on your knee more than you have too if you had good flexibility. There seems little doubt to me, due to the mechanics of the rubber guard, that you are puuting strain on your knee, its just how much strain depends on your flexibility of your hips and bum.

you just got to rest it like crazy, there is no point messing around with your knees.
    I think I was. That's the only logical explanation. Thanks.

Array

School
    Jay Pages Jiu-Jitsu/CTA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Beaumont View Post
    Make sure your doing hip specific flexibility drills. Anytime you pull on the leg below the knee there is a danger of over stressing the knee in an attempt to increase hip flex. You see this when guys are working lotus and rg even more so. In RG there is less perspective because your working in a 360 sphere, plus when your sooooo close to a move or position in the heat of a roll you can pull just that inch too far. When ever I piss my knees off my half guard game goes up a notch Don't get frustrated it's a long term project.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I need it! =)

Array

School
    Jay Pages Jiu-Jitsu/CTA
    Quote Originally Posted by Roofliss View Post
    Did it start hurting while working your guard or while stretching? And what stretches are you doing?
    is it the inside or outside of the knee? Do you feel a burning sensation?
    Just felt it when I was stretching one day. I was hugging my leg while pulling on my ankle with the other arm. It's a sharp sensation.

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    Work the weak side...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast