Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    I'm often amazed at threads like these. Me being a big guy can understand that my size is a challenge, but I'm old enough to remember the early ufc days when Royce tapped everybody. And I've also seen two of the best of the Gracies get shutdown by a less experienced wrestler in Matt Hughes, so now that the fighting world has discovered jiujitsu, the evolution of fighting has changed in which size dynamics do play a part. Now more than ever, good technical skills aren't enough, you've got to have a good strategy.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by john botello View Post
    Never take a bad position, and rear naked chokes are your friend
    being a HUGE guy who outweighs his rolling partners by atleast 100lbs I can atest to this. I purposefully go at 50-70 percent to not hurt guys...and was on a mini reign of terror for 2 classes. We're all white belts, but now as we get better and sense I had missed a couple of weeks? They are going position first and getting me in arm, wrist and taking my back.

Array

School
    Headquarters
    OK. I'm serious now. I rolled with the big boys not infrequently until my knee injury. Even 200 pounders. I'm 5'5, pretending 5'6' and 135 pounds.

Kevin and John: Great advice. Can I get more, with more specifics, please?

Things that work for me: Really protecting my arms and shifting my shoulders immediately to protect my arms with leverage when opponents go for them. Learning to ball/turtle up until the right opportunity and then, explode. Big dudes = big spaces for us to slice our little limbs into. Jiu claw to Omoplata. Going up with the big boys in mma class who haven't studied 10th Planet techniques--yeah, technique really does matter 'cause otherwise how the heck have I sub'd some of them???

Things that suck: Getting flattened like a pancake, unable to breath, and being unable to shift onto one hip or shoulder. SWEEPS--I usually can't get the water buffalos off! What sweeps are better for a bigger, stronger, more athletic opponent? Wrestlers with good base, flying around on top, destroying any attempt to turn things around are the worst!

Eddie's been saying lately, Flying Kung Fu for us--times in past I tried it, opponent just busts out, yank arm out, and multiple times I've just gotten completely picked up and found myself hanging upside down (scary!).

Help????

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Juli View Post
    OK. I'm serious now. I rolled with the big boys not infrequently until my knee injury. Even 200 pounders. I'm 5'5, pretending 5'6' and 135 pounds.

Kevin and John: Great advice. Can I get more, with more specifics, please?

Things that work for me: Really protecting my arms and shifting my shoulders immediately to protect my arms with leverage when opponents go for them. Learning to ball/turtle up until the right opportunity and then, explode. Big dudes = big spaces for us to slice our little limbs into. Jiu claw to Omoplata. Going up with the big boys in mma class who haven't studied 10th Planet techniques--yeah, technique really does matter 'cause otherwise how the heck have I sub'd some of them???

Things that suck: Getting flattened like a pancake, unable to breath, and being unable to shift onto one hip or shoulder. SWEEPS--I usually can't get the water buffalos off! What sweeps are better for a bigger, stronger, more athletic opponent? Wrestlers with good base, flying around on top, destroying any attempt to turn things around are the worst!

Eddie's been saying lately, Flying Kung Fu for us--times in past I tried it, opponent just busts out, yank arm out, and multiple times I've just gotten completely picked up and found myself hanging upside down (scary!).

Help????
    Juli
    When I roll with Big guys, which happens alot...(I am also pretending to be 5'6" and 145-155) I use alot of Butterfly and Xguard as well as Arm Drags. I have a very good gurard game, but some guys are just so much bigger and stronger they can power out of things that would be in on a "normal' person. You gotta be sneaky. I throw an armbar from my back (for example) anticipating the "hulk smash" defense and use it to sweep. If I get the sub, great....if I dont, Im already two or three moves ahead looking to sweep and get on top when he defends or tries to smah me. Just protect yourself first, be active and move and work sweeps in a chain. Once you are on top...control position and allow them to tire out....then when you can tell he is starting the get fatigued...look for chokes. No matter how big and strong they are....their neck is not

Remeber that most big strong guys will over compensate when they defend a sweep....so never just throw one sweep and count on it working. Throw it, and when he comes back super hard (cause he is HUGE and its in his nature) take him in the opposit direction. You have to be VERY active if you are on the bottom with a big cat....if they settle in on you and flatten you out...you gotta work WAAAYYY to hard to get back to neutral.

Array

School
    Headquarters
    Thanks, Kevin!

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Juli View Post
    Thanks, Kevin!
    My pleasure Juli...good luck, let me know how it goes

Array

School
    NA
    i don't think size matters too much....most chicks tell me it's all about the motion in the ocean...wait....huh?

but seriously...i will tell you from being a big guy and mastering the whole kimura americana wrestling submission thing, i try not to do it whatsoever at ALL anymore...i try my god damnedest to work on guard work and things from the bottom because that is important as hell when someone who may be better than you at maintaining top position, which happens all the time even though i have a strong escape into top position. frank mir is a great example of a big guy who is good at that. you wanna strengthen and work on what you aren't too great at...once you've done well on those, move on....then repeat....it is never ending

A few thoughts from a guy who is 215 and has rolled both with guys considerably lighter and heavier. Don't let him go chest to chest. Stay on your side, move, and get out from under his main mass. Flying kung fu looks like it would work if he leaves his arm out, but I haven't played with it yet. It's really tough to pin down someone who is good at keeping his legs between us, or is working the boa or deep half guard, even when a bit lighter.

By the way, when rolling with a guy who is much lighter, and I get top position, I try to block his defense with tight knees and underhooks. It doesn't do either of us any good to just go heavy and muscle an americana. (With the exception a few really good guys who want the extra challenge.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123