Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur

does size matter?

I was just wondering if there is a time when the size/strength of your opponent will null out any of your jiujitsu skills. I am 135 and i like to roll with a guy who is 265 (most of which is muscle), and though his jiujitsu isnt great hes a great wrestler and has the basic americana/kimora and arm chokes down. But it just seems like no matter how much better i get, i cant ever beat him. so i was just wondering, in all practicality, is there any chance i will ever be able to beat this guy at my size? And i know this may be a bad comparison for this website, but like if someone on eddie's level were to roll with a guy that size/strength.. would he have a chance? im not saying this dissing eddie, I'm just using that comparison because i know hes probably the best practitioner around my size that i can think of.

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    how do you approach him?

kimuras americanas and arm chokes?
    so clearly hes passing your guard
    and most likely(from how you described) hes using his strength to get those taps right?

so you should change up your game when you roll with him
    get better at protecting your guard

im a white belt to dude so this is probally the best advice i could give

sorry

absolutely size matters. if it didn't, there would be no reason for weight classes. at the very least, you'll get tired from carrying around his weight and gas out. now I'm not saying a guy your size can't beat a guy his size, but in order to do so, you need to be way better than him. probability is definitely in his favor. I mean, can you imagine grappling someone half your weight? When I grapple smaller people, I almost have to lift myself off of them as to not smash them.

Array

School
    Arlans Siqueira Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Check out the Hunting for teh Over Hook to flying kung fu to goplata technique in Esp 14, Eddie talks about an emergency strategy to fall back on if your guard doesn't work agaibst a big dude.

Array

School
    Nomad
    as stated in this thread already, size does matter, you just need to change up your gameplan against guys much bigger then you, don't try any techniques requiring a strength battle for example...obviously, try bait him into actions that will open up holes for you to take advantage of, kinda just basic bjj rules but they really apply when size isnt on your side, its almost imposible to "force" moves onto "bricks"

check out the ol' Marcelo Garcia vs Ricco Rodriguez adcc match up, perfect example of a small guy vs a big guy

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Phoenix
    Never take a bad position, and rear naked chokes are your friend

Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    I was just wondering if there is a time when the size/strength of your opponent will null out any of your jiujitsu skills. I am 135 and i like to roll with a guy who is 265 (most of which is muscle), and though his jiujitsu isnt great hes a great wrestler and has the basic americana/kimora and arm chokes down. But it just seems like no matter how much better i get, i cant ever beat him. so i was just wondering, in all practicality, is there any chance i will ever be able to beat this guy at my size? And i know this may be a bad comparison for this website, but like if someone on eddie's level were to roll with a guy that size/strength.. would he have a chance? im not saying this dissing eddie, I'm just using that comparison because i know hes probably the best practitioner around my size that i can think of.
    Yes size does matter....take a 240 pound muscled up man and teach him Jiu Jitsu for a year. He will crush me at 165 and one year experience. just stay with it though. Remember whenever you get down and want to give up just think of how good meatloaf is with a lot of ketchup on top of it.....be good my friend.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    why don't big guys pull guard i am 225 lbs and people smaller usually can't escape so you think a guy that is 265 his guard would be death.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    why don't big guys pull guard i am 225 lbs and people smaller usually can't escape so you think a guy that is 265 his guard would be death.
    because gravity is working against their weight?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast