Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness

You are what you eat, what your parents ate, and what your grandparents ate

Epigenetics findings show that gene expression(explained in video) can be effected by what you eat, think, and do. This means DNA is not destiny as previously thought. So pretty much means the mother of Ronda Rousey living life as a Psychologist/Olympic Athlete/healthy food eater/etc, may have changed her own DNA and given her daughter an extra DNA advantage, to add to the life long hard training. I also remember Joe Rogan talking about his daughter throwing the hooks in from the back naturally like she had already learned grappling.

With no more than a change in diet, laboratory agouti mice (left) were prompted to give birth to young (right) that differed markedly in appearance and disease susceptibility. (Talked about in Lecture video)

http://discovermagazine.com/2006/nov/cover

The Epigenetics stuff starts at 38:20 and last til 58:00. The full lecture is 2 and a half hours long. Its a lecture so it can just be listened to while doing something else.

Video description from YouTube --- Dr. Pam Peeke talks about the science behind food and addiction. She also shows us how we can harness the emerging science of epigenetics to make lifestyle changes, including transcendental meditation, which can transform our own DNA.

I highly recommend listening to the whole lecture. I was up late night watching even though I had to get up for work early the net day. I had to watch the whole thing. Nice info on food addictions effects on the pre frontal cortex and the effects of junk food on the pleasure centers of the brain. Also talks about the close similarities between food addiction and drug addiction

#NinjaScience #TotalHumanOptimization #10wO #Frequency #
    Last edited by Sean Marshall; 03-16-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Array

School
    TEdx version. I think TED talks have a cheesy-ness to them but its a simpler fast foody entertainment version of the above video. More personal experiences though of her searching to find out what her ancestors were doing

Epigenetic transformation -- you are what your grandparents ate: Pamela Peeke at TEDxLowerEastSide

https://youtu.be/Udlz7CMLuLQ
    Last edited by Sean Marshall; 03-16-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Array

School
    ANOTHER REALLY GOOD VIDEO

Mind Over DNA: Transforming DNA from the Inside Out (Our Conscious Future)

https://youtu.be/Gu33jzWYxQU

Youtube video description --- Giving a new angle on epigenetics, he explains why and how you can use consciousness, what, and how you think, as well as lifestyle choices, such as exercise, diet, supplements, and stress management, to improve your genetic makeup. He traces the historical development of modern medicine from the surface levels of surgery, to the finest levels of modern genomic medicine, and introduces the concept of quantum medicine and the role of the Transcendental Meditation technique in epigenetics.
    Last edited by Sean Marshall; 03-16-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    You post some outside the box and interesting stuff man.
    I like it!

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    You post some outside the box and interesting stuff man.
    I like it!
    Thanx man... Its like a magnet is pulling me to search and find stuff. Science is finding that these old martial artists and spiritual peoples might've been onto something with all this energy and mental work stuff. 10th Planet should be the leaders in innovation for all the years of being tested and ridiculed by ignorance and fear, but still continuing to break away from the heard

North America and Europe are both working on mapping the brain and have teamed up together. Think we will ever get to know about the really good stuff that the governmnt organizations find. Nope. They might say weve figured out how to cure this or stop that but we wont get the good stuff nicely explained and dumbed down so we can integrate it into our daily lives. My guess is it will mostly be used fr defense and money making, maybe unless everyone is on top of how much society is changing and wants to be a part of innovating forward without destroying ourselves to quickly

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    I talk a lot about epigenetics with my patients (I'm a chiropractor). I think it's very empowering to teach people that they can "break the cycle" if they have a family history of poor health. At least they can try to start the ball rolling in a positive direction for their own kids if not themselves directly. I know it made me feel better, less like a victim-in-waiting, learning more and more about epigenetics. My own family has dealt with just about every chronic, degenerative health condition you can think of, and I'd hate to think it's just a matter of time before I catch something regardless of how I live. The books The Biology of Belief and Spontaneous Evolution are also really cool reads about this subject, fyi.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    When I learned about epigenetics as an idea, it blew my mind. And as a software engineer, it makes perfect sense to me.

If DNA is like computer code, epigenetics seem like configuration. By the time the computer code gets to your computer, it doesn't really change. Given the same inputs, it will always do precisely the same thing. But if you change the configuration, you're changing inputs you might not even know that program had and the code path will be different, perhaps totally different. Same code, different code path. It's wonderful and astonishing to think that as you are formed inside your mother's womb, you are being configured. Some of the lessons her body learned are being 'taught' to your body.

I hope epigenetics gets some more thorough study. I'd love to know more.