Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX

tennis elbow from Gi?

Started gi training for the first time about 2 months ago. I am finally starting to use the gi as a tool and find I am getting tennis elbow. Very inflamed, sucks. Any suggestions? Started taking large doses of fish oil, that seems to have helped after the fact, but not during the roll. Just another reason for me to like No-Gi much more lol

Array

School
    10th planet sf
    In Steve maxwells mobility DVD he talks about all the gripping of the gi causes the shortening of the elbow tendons or tennis elbow, his theory is you have to counter it by putting an elastic band or two around the ends of your fingers and thumb and extending out your fingers and opening your hand, try do 100 each hand every day.
    This fixed up my elbow in days, hope this helps.
    Oh and don't use gi grips, they're silly. =)

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCann View Post
    In Steve maxwells mobility DVD he talks about all the gripping of the gi causes the shortening of the elbow tendons or tennis elbow, his theory is you have to counter it by putting an elastic band or two around the ends of your fingers and thumb and extending out your fingers and opening your hand, try do 100 each hand every day.
    This fixed up my elbow in days, hope this helps.
    Oh and don't use gi grips, they're silly. =)
    thanks brother, I appreciate it. That actually makes sense as well. I'll take a look.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Nice info Rory!

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    As ridiculous as this might look, it's actually a really good exercise for helping with tennis/golfer's elbow. If you can get one of these therapeutic bars, give it a shot, and good luck..http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJA_MmAS5ws

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    The tennis elbow strap does help. You can buy the almost any sporting goods store. remember, muscles develop faster than the tendon connections. Thus stressing the tendon. Try and give the tendons time to build themselves up.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne/ Goulburn Valley Jiu Jitsu
    I suggest not using the Gi.
    No Gi no problem.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Yeah definitely nice post Rory...Gonna have to check out that Mobility DVD.

So yeah, your elbows are trying to make up for the weakness in the forearms. Just learned this last week. Used to get it a lot as a kid from different stuff like swimming and doing bicep curls