Thread: stretching

stretching

I'm trying to improve my flexibility... Is there a difference if you do exercise before stretching or not? And what spesific stretches I should do to improve my rubber guard flexibility?

I think for best results it is good to stretch before and after exercising or working out. For rubber guard, stretch your hip flexors (you can feel this when you try to put your foot behind your head) as well as your groin area (side splits and butterfly stretch). Personally, I would play it safe and stretch everything in your legs, as well as the rest of your body.

Array

School
    In the Ring Sports, Alpharetta Ga.
    I believe that it is a mistake to stretch cold muscles. You need to warm up a bit before stretching. It does not need to be intensive, just jogging in place or some jumping jacks will do the job.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by jderrick75 View Post
    I believe that it is a mistake to stretch cold muscles. You need to warm up a bit before stretching. It does not need to be intensive, just jogging in place or some jumping jacks will do the job.
    +1
    I think stretching after warm up is safer and way more effective.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix and Fabio Santos BJJ (Team Monstro)
    if im just gonna stretch before i got to bed or dont plan on working out ill do a hundred jumping jacks and stretch if im gonna work out ill jog stretch work out and then stretch again same for jiu jitsu i stretch b4 and after

Array

School
    Martial Arts Progression, Hartlepool, UK
    jderrick75's absolutely right about not stretching cold muscles, you'll get tears and strains if you do. if you're talking about stretching in relation to a work-out, then it's not strictly necessary to stretch beforehand (though a warm-up definitely is) although it doesn't hurt. but in order to avoid injury it's important to stretch after the work-out, this allows muscles to return to their normal length. if you're talking about stretching to improve flexibility, a warm-up is still necessary, and i'd advise doing a series of stretches for any given body part. i normally do groin, hamstrings, hips and repeat the body parts with different exercises. i've found dashama on youtube to be very informative in this area. i'd also highly recommend getting high as fuck beforehand, the combination is unreal (both in terms of results and the endorphin release).

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    butterfly stretches lotus and leg over the head!

Array

School
    Rōnin
    do tai chi it is a good warm up and improves flexibility

Muscless also warm up during stretch...Now i have just started stretching for example doing half lotus about 5 min and then get to full lotus...