Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Array

School
    Ronin
    Considering the show doesn't have a huge budget and was being streamed live (20 matches or something ploughed through within 3.5 hours) I was massively impressed.

Think the commentators are still finding their feet, but it takes time and Eddie's options are:

A) Go with a pro commentator who has been announcing for years and knows jack about BJJ
    or
    B) Go with people who love BJJ but are new to announcing.

Of the two I think Eddie made the right decision. This is especially true if you saw the UK's attempt to bring UFC to channel 5... the guy reviewing the match was going crazy about this submission he'd not seen before. Forest Griffin was able to tell him: 'that... that's a giotine'. They left the mic on as it cut to commercial break and a disgusted Forest asked "Can I go now?"

Thought the show was awesome! Could've done without the commentator that didn't know anything.

Superfights in-between the matches were awesome, great idea!

Some legendary/senior jiu jitsu or mma fighters added to the superfights might be a cool idea for future EBI's, when funding is more available (assuming Metamoris doesn't buy everyone out).

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    [QUOTE=Solicit;249552]The one piece of constructive criticism I do have, is that a lot of people from Atos and other schools were not liking the commentary. The chat room was hating on the announcers (Compella and Scott Ross). That was their biggest gripe. The fact that they were pushing sub-only so much and talking down on point fighting, also not giving Demian credit against Jacob I guess, etc. I can pull some quotes from the Atos fb chat if you'd like and keep them anonymous, haha. I was there live and I haven't seen the stream so I don't really know, but I will say that if Eddie hired some outside announcers that are non biased, it would for sure look better to the people outside of 10PJJ. From what I am seeing/hearing, everyone in 10PJJ loved the commentary, and a lot of people on the outside weren't feeling it. Another thing that has been brought up before that I tend to agree with, is if Eddie were to not ref any matches. Even though it's sub-only and the ref doesn't dictate who the winner is necessarily, it isn't the best look (again outside the 10P system). He would also have more time to shake hands and coach his students if he hired some legit referees that can handle the rule set. Just my two pennies. Still the best rule set in the game, and best EBI to date![/

What about Eddie being one of the commentators, instead of a referee??

Hey, I thought this event was by far the most entertaining grappling event I've ever watched. The match between Eddie Cumming and Garry Tonnon was a grappling thing of beauty.

I would suggest in the future you turn the mat volume higher....Hearing the cheers from the crowd when something happens is great.... and the slams and quick pass transitions, would only add to the overall intensity of the match..Hearing the corners isn't such a bad thing any ways, its only going to give the commentator to talk about!!!!!You know how Joe Rogan will break down striking plans based on what the corner is saying!!!! well that can happen with EBI if the mat volume gets turned up so the commentators can hear the volume too!!

whew.... well that's all I got for improvements for the broadcast event. I really think eddie nailed the platform for the matches and the rule set that translates to entertaining grappling events. Eddie you and your team with your visions you've made something extraordinary, this event defeats every event that is out there currently. Don't give up on this event, its the best thing that is out!!! METAMORIS is a FARRRR second place to your event!!! Don't give in to the Gracie filter!!

Stay true to the craft and spark trees to relax.

Array

School
    MAS Academy Cambridge
    Quote Originally Posted by .BB. View Post
    on an unrelated note, going forward, I will def be using the phrase "these guys are lawyers"
    Agreed! I forgot about that moment. the commentators said some interesting/fun stuff. I will have to add that to my mat banter as well

Array

School
    MAS Academy Cambridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Solicit View Post
    Another thing that has been brought up before that I tend to agree with, is if Eddie were to not ref any matches. Even though it's sub-only and the ref doesn't dictate who the winner is necessarily, it isn't the best look (again outside the 10P system). He would also have more time to shake hands and coach his students if he hired some legit referees that can handle the rule set. Just my two pennies. Still the best rule set in the game, and best EBI to date!
    Let Eddie be the over-the-top commentator dude. Suit and tie + gi pants. More for my personal viewing pleasure than anything.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345