Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores

Body Jewelry In Jiu Jitsu

Of all people to ask their opinion about this, I figured you guys would be the best. All of my life I have always wanted a belly button ring, and I was told that for my 16th birthday I could get one, and that day is coming really soon. Of course I still want one, but my only concern is how it would interfere with my training. I see that Ronda Rousey has one so obviously it could be trained with, but for that period of time where I can't take it out worries me a little bit. I had the idea to just stick a large band-aid over my belly button under my rash guard while training to keep it from getting ripped out until I can start taking it out though. Some have told me it would be okay, and others told me it was a bad idea. But I was hoping I could get some feedback from you guys...? It would be greatly appreciated! (:

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Bad idea, I've seen several injuries due jewelery. I personally pulled a earring stud out of a students head with a pair of pliers (after being repeatedly told to remove his jewelry). I also witnessed a guy have a compound fracture of his ring finger due to a wedding band.
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 03-15-2015 at 04:57 PM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Yea having sharp objects on your person while rolling just doesn't seem like a fun time to me.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Bad idea, I've seen several injuries due jewelery. I personally pulled a earring stud out of a students head with a pair of pliers (after being repeatedly told to remove his jewelry). I also witnessed a guy have a compound fracture of his ring finger due to a wedding band.
    Ouch. That doesn't sound fun.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    If you really want to freak yourself out, type this into a google search:

"finger wedding ring deglove image"
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 03-15-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    If you really want to freak yourself out, type this into a google search:

"finger wedding ring deglove image"
    Do I really want to? Hahahah. But here's what I've noticed about all of yall's responses: they're all about jewelry on the outside. Mine will be covered up with not only a rashie, but a huge band aid as well so nothing can touch it. And it would only be for the short amount of time I would have to keep it in so the hole wouldn't close up...

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Stopped wearing a ring because I'm terrified of this.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyana View Post
    Do I really want to? Hahahah. But here's what I've noticed about all of yall's responses: they're all about jewelry on the outside. Mine will be covered up with not only a rashie, but a huge band aid as well so nothing can touch it. And it would only be for the short amount of time I would have to keep it in so the hole wouldn't close up...
    I told you about the ones I witnessed myself. I've heard about a girls belly ring getting torn out as well, I just didn't see that one happen. It would be extremely foolish on your part to get one and continue to train, not only injury but risk of infection as well.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyana View Post
    Mine will be covered up with not only a rashie, but a huge band aid as well so nothing can touch it..
    Someone going knee on belly across to mount while digging that knee across your belly? Seems like there are a lot of ways it could get yanked on real nice.

Will it be ok? Maybe.. it might be just fine until it heals and you can take it out. Or...maybe it'll get ripped right out of your skin.

I figure you've got Herzog, one of the top 10p instructors in the organization, telling you in no uncertain terms that it's a bad idea. I guess "But I'm going to have a band-aid and a rashie on it!" is one way you can react...

Personally when someone more knowledgeable than me, one of my elders, says "Stop, what you are doing is dangerous, don't do that!", I give them the benefit of the doubt, regardless of how fashionable I may look doing it.

Then again I've done shit a LOT more dangerous than rolling with a belly piercing. You probably won't die from it, even worst case... I guess a nasty staff infection might kill you, seems pretty low % though... shrug.

At this point you've asked the question, gotten your answer, argued with that answer... now you can go ahead and do it but if I was a betting man, I'll lay good odds that the universe will take you up on your challenge and rip that thing right out, just to teach you a lesson... You know how the universe like irony and has that satirical sense of humor, right?
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 03-15-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Is it worth it? Maybe if you were some regular chick showing off at the beach regularly. You have far more important things going on to be concerned with superficial things that could be detrimental to your jiu jitsu. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast