Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks

My matches from Naga San Diego (3 Electric Chairs)

I figured I would throw these up in here. I competed at Naga this past weekend and won 5 out of my 6 matches, 1 on points and 4 submissions. I ended up taking Bronze in no-gi and Gold in the Gi. I hit 3 Electric Chairs and actually popped a guys knee with one of them. (Just to save you some time or having to watch boring matches, my first no-gi match is won on points and the second one I lost on points, the rest are all submissions.) Any constructive criticism is welcomed. Thanks! #10P4L

No-Gi Match #1 -

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    No-Gi Match #2 -

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    No-Gi Match #3 -

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    Match #1, roughly 2:30 mark - Your right leg is being inactive. It's literally just hanging out there at one point. If you had put it on your opponent's hip you could have engaged it in the fight to keep him from stacking you.

3:30 mark - When I've got Lockdown and someone is trying to guillotine me from the top, which it looks like that's what's happening, I prefer to use Super Stomp to a butterfly hook sweep to try and get back on top and get side control. Assuming you can't break the grip around your neck, staying in Lockdown at that point is actually you working against yourself in my opinion.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDan84 View Post
    Match #1, roughly 2:30 mark - Your right leg is being inactive. It's literally just hanging out there at one point. If you had put it on your opponent's hip you could have engaged it in the fight to keep him from stacking you.

3:30 mark - When I've got Lockdown and someone is trying to guillotine me from the top, which it looks like that's what's happening, I prefer to use Super Stomp to a butterfly hook sweep to try and get back on top and get side control. Assuming you can't break the grip around your neck, staying in Lockdown at that point is actually you working against yourself in my opinion.
    Thanks for the words man, I'm gonna review what you are talking about!

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    Overall I'd say you could stand to work on a couple things:
    - Try to minimize the delay between when you sweep someone, and pass their guard. You seemed to do a better job of this in the gi versus no gi.
    - Since you obviously like going for the Electric Chair (great job btw), learn to maintain cleaner control to the Stoner Control position for when it doesn't work. I'd say hug the leg tighter between your head and shoulder for starters.
    - You could stand to clean up your side/top control so you don't wind up getting reversed so often once you're on top.

I know that's a lot to think about in the middle of a match, but it's just what I saw. Great job overall though, you never gave up, and that can't be taught.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDan84 View Post
    Overall I'd say you could stand to work on a couple things:
    - Try to minimize the delay between when you sweep someone, and pass their guard. You seemed to do a better job of this in the gi versus no gi.
    - Since you obviously like going for the Electric Chair (great job btw), learn to maintain cleaner control to the Stoner Control position for when it doesn't work. I'd say hug the leg tighter between your head and shoulder for starters.
    - You could stand to clean up your side/top control so you don't wind up getting reversed so often once you're on top.

I know that's a lot to think about in the middle of a match, but it's just what I saw. Great job overall though, you never gave up, and that can't be taught.
    Thanks again, man. I know my top game/side control can use a lot of work. I am not that heavy so I'm still trying to figure out how to use my weight to the best of ability. I do get swept (bumped over) fairly often from mount and side control. I'm gonna work on maintaining my base for sure! ...I appreciate the insight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast