Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago

Lockdown Weight Limit?

I'm wondering if any of you feel there is a weight limit where you would not attempt to use the Lockdown or Whip Up, or if there are specific tips you have to offer for going against heavier opponents?

I was rolling with a friend of mine last night, he's only a few inches taller than me but outweighs me by about 110-120 lbs. I was able to use my Lockdown to take him off his base, and make it so he wasn't able to put his full weight on me, but I could not whip him up, and had a hard time getting onto my side until he gave me space. Oddly enough though, I did manage to hit a 5-0 sweep on him when I tried whipping down and managed to get a two on one on his forearm. I mostly went from Lockdown to Stomp/Super Stomp, then butterfly sweeps with him instead.

Anyway, any tips you all have to offer for using Lockdown against bigger opponents would be appreciated. Thanks.

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast
    I am an avid lockdown player on anybody within 40 lbs of me. Anything above that I play I traditional knee torque half as it allows me to get on my side more, and eventually get deeper under my opponent

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    I've found that it's easier to get a lockdown on heavier guys since they generally tend to wanna smash you rather than slice through your guard. The hard part is getting on your side. If you can get double underhooks and get to the electric clinch, there's almost always a path that opens up. I've been playing with deep-half guard lately after getting Bernardo Faria's DVD and his sweep has been super high percentage. Deep half is always an option, but overall just not getting put flat on my back is my primary concern, usually.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    no

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDan84 View Post
    I mostly went from Lockdown to Stomp/Super Stomp, then butterfly sweeps with him instead.

Anyway, any tips you all have to offer for using Lockdown against bigger opponents would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Lately I've found the mini stomp very useful when a guy gets up on his foot, as is it's purpose. But sometimes the mini stomp can't collapse his base, and a deep half entry opens up. But throwing deep half into the mix has started to open things up for me and kept me a step ahead of a lot of teammates, now that they're getting used to the electric chair series.

Array

School
    Oak Cliff Jiu-Jitsu
    You can try pressing your elbow against his throat to create just enough space to explode towards the other leg.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    You should video it, in case some technique could be improved upon. Ive whipped up a guy that was 300+ when weighing around 180-190. Your weight might matter some. When I weigh 190ish my strength to weight ratio seems higher than when I weigh 160. Like I can deal with a guy 25 pounds heavier than me a lot easier when I weigh 190 than when Im 155 and a guy is 25 pounds heavier. Maybe I just need to stay at a lower weight longer and build more muscle.... Anyways, yeah, video it

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Marshall View Post
    You should video it, in case some technique could be improved upon. Ive whipped up a guy that was 300+ when weighing around 180-190. Your weight might matter some. When I weigh 190ish my strength to weight ratio seems higher than when I weigh 160. Like I can deal with a guy 25 pounds heavier than me a lot easier when I weigh 190 than when Im 155 and a guy is 25 pounds heavier. Maybe I just need to stay at a lower weight longer and build more muscle.... Anyways, yeah, video it
    I will see if I can get a video of it. As of this morning I was 184 lbs, and like I said, he's pushing 300 lbs. Maybe I just wasn't get my legs into it enough, who knows.

Thanks for the input so far, everybody.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Keep at it. Practicing on someone that much bigger than you is really gonna sharpen your technique.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    Keep at it. Practicing on someone that much bigger than you is really gonna sharpen your technique.
    I totally agree. It really pushed me to focus on timing and technique to get him moving and sweep him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast