Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    Out of curiousity, anyone here ever go to a Royce seminar? I hear different things.
    I did and it was all beginner go stuff that wasn't impressive. Royce came off kinda arrogant too.

Arrogant? I have heard similar about the basic thing, but care expound on the other?

Despite my douchebag joke, I have only heard good things about him and that includes how friendly he was.

Array

School
    Arrogant? I have heard similar about the basic thing, but care expound on the other?
    I was told that the seminar would be open to gi and nogi, when I got there, I had taken nogi gear, only to find out that it was all gi. I only had a traditional karate gi with me on my other bag because I had been competing in sport karate again. And I compete as a BB. I tried to explain the mix-up but he seemed offended. He stuck me with the newbies even though I told him I had been doing bjj for over three years along with Japanese jiujitsu experience also. I felt as though I wasn't given a chance because of misinformation from the guy throwing the seminar for he was the one who said the seminar would be open to nogi participants. I actually helped some of the newbies with some of the gi techniques as they were all beginner traps and chokes. I thanked him and told him he was one of my all time favorites and left a little disappointed.

In retrospect, when I went to Kevin greens Eddie bravo seminar, even though I was thirty minutes late, I was welcomed with open arms and treated with the upmost respect, thus another reason why I love tpjj

Array

School
    And before someone says something, I was thirty minutes late for Kevin's seminar because of the fact that I had got up at three in the morning and drove 8 hrs to get there. Traffic was bad from Baltimore tunnel to Delaware.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    I dont believe him. I think he was at a loss for what to do to Royce to make him quit, and was greatly over estimating the amount of damage he had done/was doing. Lots of guys have "reasons" for not winning. I have to admit, not wanting to kill the other guy, is a good one though.
    I agree...lot of revisionist history going on there. I think the guy really didn't know what to do with him. He just wasn't honest like homie with the one glove. He was like, I had no idea what to do...thought this would be a typical tough man contest. And lets be real...Dan wasn't going to kill anyone. Over the years he's putting a little extra on it. He could not beat him or submit him. UFC was in it's infancy and many MA systems didn't have the means to end a fight via knockout or submission.

Array

School
    Delaware Barbell Club & Fitness BJJ
    i'm no fan of the gracies , i feel thier schools are overpriced , they aint got no standup , and i don't like thier arrogance ,perhaps if i were to fight one at Dream or Sengoku in Japan maybe they can change my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Noronowicz View Post
    i'm no fan of the gracies , i feel thier schools are overpriced , they aint got no standup , and i don't like thier arrogance ,perhaps if i were to fight one at Dream or Sengoku in Japan maybe they can change my mind
    I dont know, Renzo has a pretty good school, and its not cheap, but what in NYC is?

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    I'm sort of mixed on the Gracie Academy in Torrence. (Never been there, btw). Based on the videos, the quality of instruction is second to none. They detail every little part of the technique and they really make you understand what you are doing and why. When I watch Rener and Ryron explain a technique that I think I know (armbar, triangle, trap and roll mount escape, etc) I always learn something new from their instruction.

However, I feel they have made the same mistake karate schools have made in "closing" their curriculum. Like a karate school, they have a grand master that has already figured everything out and the syllabus is written in stone with nothing new to be added to it. If you train there today, or train there in 10 years, the instruction will be exactly the same. (That's the feeling I get, at least).

I think its better when the art keeps evolving. When I first started training BJJ, the big move was the arm bar. Now, everyone's favorite move is the North/South choke.

Array

School
    Delaware Barbell Club & Fitness BJJ
    maybe i shouldn't say what i said ,cause i do got to respect them , i guess im just mad at celebrity-ism

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast