Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC

Royce Gracie should have at least one technique named after him

I've been a fan of Royce since I started watching the UFC around #2 or 3. To this day I've always had respect for what he did in the Octagon, but I have to admit when I watched the Rener and Ryron breakdown of the first Royce Gracie vs Ken Shamrock match, I was even more impressed. It had always seemed to me that Royce was fighting guys who were sort of clueless but the breakdown details some of the submissions Royce was fighting off from Shamrock and it details the variety of advanced techniques employed by both fighters in that brief fight.

I had never realized that the choke Royce used to win that fight was sort of non standard in that he never even tried to put the hooks in. It was almost like he executed a rear naked choke from the Dogfight. Has anyone in MMA executed the choke in that manner since?

Really seems to me there should be at least ONE technique in BJJ called "The Royce"... Maybe the choke he used here?

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    +1

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    He almost has all of jiu jitz named after him....lol..but I get you..

And yes...Shamrock looked like some roided freak but dude was a straight up good wrestler and very skilled

That choke is alot easier to pull off with a gi on, where you can hook your sleeve and where your leg hooking his arm has a good bit of friction on it. I think that is the biggest reason we have not seen it much since.

Oops, exchange arm for leg above.

I've had a couple instructors refer to the "Royce Gracie kick". The little straight kick to the kneecaps he used all the time to mess up the opponents footwork.

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    since all royce did in the ufc was gi chokes, really dont think we can give him a name based off of his ufc career

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    since all royce did in the ufc was gi chokes, really dont think we can give him a name based off of his ufc career
    I would respectfully suggest you actually watch some of his fights as your information is incorrect. He beat Dan Severn with a triangle and he beat Jason Deluca with an armbar. The breakdown in the clip above shows him beating Ken Shamrock with rear naked choke. His victory over Kimo wasn't via gi choke either.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    I think Eisner says it best in the intro to MTS: "...when I saw a SKINNY Brazilian choke out a pharmaceutical-grade superhero in 57 seconds." Royce is a beast and yeah, it'd be nice to name something after him.

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    I would respectfully suggest you actually watch some of his fights as your information is incorrect. He beat Dan Severn with a triangle and he beat Jason Deluca with an armbar. The breakdown in the clip above shows him beating Ken Shamrock with rear naked choke. His victory over Kimo wasn't via gi choke either.
    I was being a smartass. Lol. Knew someone would jump on that one. Just thinking of what would be a suitable move for Royce's namesake.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast