Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    After you roll it's Highlander rules, you tap someone higher ranked you get there belt

That's how I got my brown
    I was wondering how you got to brown so fast! Haha, kidding.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    If the blackbelt is trying to teach the people he's rolling with, he should be tapping regularly. The blackbelt is supposed to be guiding the lower belt to use correct technique. When correct technique is applied, the result is supposed to be an advancement in position or a submission.

If you see a blackbelt who never gets tapped by lower belts, that blackbelt is not a very good teacher. He might be a badass jiujitsu practitioner, but he's not a teacher.

That's my take anyway.
    I politely disagree. I don't think a black belt instructor is obligated to tap just because you used proper technique. He could also use proper technique to escape or negate your proper technique and still provide you with the very valuable lesson that proper technique does not guarantee a tap. That someone with better technique will still shut you down. I appreciate that my instructors dont' give me freebie taps. They'll give me positive feedback that I'm improving.

I don't want sympathy taps. I don't want charity taps. I don't want freebie taps. If I get a tap, it's because I got the better of you, not because you gave me an "A" on my pop quiz.

Array

School
    10th planet Ronin
    i've never seen my professor get tapped but when i or others roll with him he lets us win postion and put in to effect the techniques he teaches and corrects us and lets us know if we expose our selfs.he also catches us in chokes and holds but doesnt crank he gives the lower belts a chance to escape.of course he always gives the purples and brown a way harder time but its always like rolling with Yoda haha.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I politely disagree. I don't think a black belt instructor is obligated to tap just because you used proper technique. He could also use proper technique to escape or negate your proper technique and still provide you with the very valuable lesson that proper technique does not guarantee a tap. That someone with better technique will still shut you down. I appreciate that my instructors dont' give me freebie taps. They'll give me positive feedback that I'm improving.

I don't want sympathy taps. I don't want charity taps. I don't want freebie taps. If I get a tap, it's because I got the better of you, not because you gave me an "A" on my pop quiz.
    Agreed. I never hold anything back when teaching, in fact I often show my A-game and how to counter it. Has nothing to do with whats being taught and more to do with the actual skill of the teacher.

I don't give charity taps, I allow them the opportunity, but whether or not they get the tap depends on if they can seal the deal vs. my ability to escape.

The only time I give charity taps is if we are problem solving a specific area they are working on and we are rolling and I keep allowing them to get it. This is usually with a fighter or competitor the last week or two prior to an event.

Other than that you gotta earn that shit.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Word

Quote Originally Posted by chris herzog View Post
    agreed. I never hold anything back when teaching, in fact i often show my a-game and how to counter it. Has nothing to do with whats being taught and more to do with the actual skill of the teacher.

I don't give charity taps, i allow them the opportunity, but whether or not they get the tap depends on if they can seal the deal vs. My ability to escape.

The only time i give charity taps is if we are problem solving a specific area they are working on and we are rolling and i keep allowing them to get it. This is usually with a fighter or competitor the last week or two prior to an event.

Frank Barca (Grank)
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne
    Affilliate Moon Downunder
    190B Sussex Street, Coburg
    Victoria Australia
    www.10thplanet.com.au
    frank@10thplanet.com.au

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Agreed. I never hold anything back when teaching, in fact I often show my A-game and how to counter it. Has nothing to do with whats being taught and more to do with the actual skill of the teacher.

I don't give charity taps, I allow them the opportunity, but whether or not they get the tap depends on if they can seal the deal vs. my ability to escape.

The only time I give charity taps is if we are problem solving a specific area they are working on and we are rolling and I keep allowing them to get it. This is usually with a fighter or competitor the last week or two prior to an event.

Let's do a thought experiment to see if this pans out.

Let's say you have a whitebelt that comes to you. He's 150lb, 5'9", no athletic ability. And he is going to train exclusively with you. Maybe he's really rich and famous, maybe the population of the Earth has been reduced, maybe it's a new school and he's your first student, does'nt matter. Create any hypothetical you want to, this white belt is going to train exclusively with you.

So you start teaching him the basics, including basic submissions. And then you roll with him. Of course he's a whitebelt, so he's not very good at anything you teach him.

Now I'm guessing that, based on your response, you never tap to white belts or blue belts. Probably not often to purple belts either. So when do your students actually start to "earn that shit" and actually tap you? Brown belt?

So do you really expect to be able to train a white belt up to brown belt over years without them actually tapping you a single time? And you believe this is the best way to help them develop their technique?

That seems a little ridiculous to me, that they would go years without ever actually tapping someone. That they could actually achive a brownbelt without ever tapping someone. Remember, they only train with you.

My feeling is that would be a VERY slow way for a whitebelt to advance.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 04-05-2015 at 08:46 AM.

People go years without ever tapping there instructor all the time, or never tap them at all

BJJ is not just about tapping someone out

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    People go years without ever tapping there instructor all the time, or never tap them at all

BJJ is not just about tapping someone out
    Yes in schools where they also roll with lower belts. In this hypothetical they train exclusively with Mr Herzog (or whomever their blackbelt instructor is).

Also I know that bjj is not about "tapping someone out". I tried to make it clear that I'm talking about an instructor developing his students technique in the fastest and most efficient way possible.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 04-05-2015 at 08:55 AM.

First of all, who cares?

Some guys don't believe in "cheap taps", there are many many ways to correct and teach technique without giving away free subs, positional sparring, situational training,,starting from the sub position, etc...

I am not big on the 1on1 Private training only guy, everyone should get into the group training at some point to test themselves out

Can't edit, don't know why I typed "who cares" First, lol, didn't make sense with the rest of the post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast