Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breathing...

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek, CA

Breathing...

So I was rolling with a killer purple belt today and he suggested I focus on breathing through my nose as opposed through my mouth, as this would could help slow things down and help with my stamina. It did not help that I was just trying to survive, so my breathing pattern was the last thing on my mind but thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    I've been in sports a long time, hockey, baseball, judo, long distance running, military, Jiu jitsu etc... I've been told that same thing that breathing through your nose is better. But in all my years of sports (I'm 32), I've found everyone is different. I have a narrow airway in my nose and it just doesn't work for me. Nose or mouth the air is still coming from the same place. Learn to control it, but learn what works best for you. I gave it a try for about 3-4 months and it just didn't work. So my suggestion is to give it a solid shot, if you notice improvement stick with it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikLavigne View Post
    I've been in sports a long time, hockey, baseball, judo, long distance running, military, Jiu jitsu etc... I've been told that same thing that breathing through your nose is better. But in all my years of sports (I'm 32), I've found everyone is different. I have a narrow airway in my nose and it just doesn't work for me. Nose or mouth the air is still coming from the same place. Learn to control it, but learn what works best for you. I gave it a try for about 3-4 months and it just didn't work. So my suggestion is to give it a solid shot, if you notice improvement stick with it.
    I'll second the above but add that if you are breathing through you mouth, do it through you teeth with your mouth shut ir you'll get teeth knocked out eventually.

Also, if your getting advise about breathing from good guys... that probably means you need to relax.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    I inhale through my mouth and exhale through my nose. Works for me
    "Never go full retard"
    Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Periscope @10P4L

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Being able to breathe through your nose is tits. Being a big nosed white boy with bad allergies has taught me a lit about breathing. When the pollen is in then air out here in good old Belvidere IL, i mouth breath like a mo fo. My Brazilian instructor who speaks 2 licks of english loves to tell me "Nick, HELAAAXX" when in reality I have to pretend I'm breathing through a straw to relax. Just my .02

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    The bigger picture is finding comfort in discomfort. If you could play a poker face on the bottom, with your eyes, breathing, body movements etc., your opponent won't have a pattern to track when you'd attempt to escape. Breathing brings more oxygen, which brings clearer thinking, which mounts a more intelligent escape. It's all connected. As is all jiu jitsu. As is the world and it's energy. Mind trip ...

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek, CA
    Part of what I am dealing with is that I am exerting a lot of energy the entire time, as the guy is super good at applying pressure. So, I am always working 100% to deal with his pressure. His knee on belly just sucks and he is like an anaconda when he gets mount.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Through your nose, through your mouth... Whatever. Both work.

The important part is to only focus on the exhale. Don't concentrate on drawing breath IN; only put your focus on expelling your air. This is what you'll hear sometimes when a grappler is on the mat and you hear them making that "choo choo choo" kinda noise.

Once you get this down, your stamina is gonna shoot through the roof.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Combat Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Through your nose, through your mouth... Whatever. Both work.

The important part is to only focus on the exhale. Don't concentrate on drawing breath IN; only put your focus on expelling your air. This is what you'll hear sometimes when a grappler is on the mat and you hear them making that "choo choo choo" kinda noise.

Once you get this down, your stamina is gonna shoot through the roof.
    So I should exhale hard? fast? slow? in bursts?

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Madisonville TN
    Breathing from the nose definitely helps me stay calm during rolls, if I'm mouth breathing it usually means I'm in a bunch of trouble. Also agree with what Brian said, if you ever plan on transitioning to MMA, an open mouth can get you knocked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast