Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Derango View Post
    Hey 10th planet, although I am a real beginner and live in Europe (far away from a 10pjj gym!) I really dig your style and attitude, hence I am posting here.
    As a newbie - have been on and off for about three months now - I have some concerns about doing BJJ in general, please enlighten me.
    I'm 26 year old guy, 5'10 and 160 lbs.

Since I started doing BJJ - mostly gi - I had multiple injuries, due to this I skipped a series of classes too. I think I got my left finger almost broken when rolling with a bluebelt - it still hurts after three months' time as it has been twitched sideways - , my right wrist was in serious pain for around a week around 1,5 months ago, now I can function but still hurts if pressed clockwise. These are the most noticable ones, but I have pain other places as well, including some lost mobility in my right ankle (which genuinely scares me).
    I have generally skinny wrists / neck / ankles, and I it seems for me my joints were not cut out for heavy duty use.

My question is: What can I expect down the road? Will my joints eventually adapt? Is someone not having strong enough joints for BJJ a thing?
    I know nothing comes free and I don't like complaining, but I have to figure this thing out before I decide to man up and working through the pain. I want to know whether it makes sense and I won't be all fucked up in a couple years of time, because BJJ seems awesome and is a lot of fun, I want to enjoy my life / body later on as well.
    Based on my own research I've ordered a Glucosamine / MSM / Chondroitin supplement, I take fishoil and started adapting the tap early / tap often principle too.

As experienced grapplers, what are your takes on it? Have you experienced these concerns or knows someone with this?

I really dig JJ and want to go deeper in the rabbit hole, but only if it won't leave me as a wreck in a couple of years.
    Any feedback, recommendation is hugely welcome! Thanks guys!
    If you want to do bjj for a long time, you have to have some sort of mobility work and stretching at home or its gonna catch up to you, joint pain from submissions can't be helped but joint pain from just wear and tear can be lessened if you always warm up and stretch before and after class....lifting weights and having a extra layer of muscle helps too but then you gotta be careful not hurting yourself lifting too heavy too fast too.. just my two cents, a white belt but wrestled a bit and been doin bjj for a bit now

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA
    High protein, high fat, Fish oil, MSM glucosamine won't hurt either...and lots of sleep

Array

School
    Aalborg Selvforsvar og BJJ
    Hey guys! You gave me a bunch of helpful responses, thanks a ton! It's great to read I'm not experiencing anything special, I'm not alone with this physical limbo, it's pretty inspiring to read that working through this is a thing.

Also, great info on prevention and etc., there are certainly areas to work on here, I will try fixing all these including fixing my sleeping schedule (unf. a big one), investing some time into an organized mobility/stretch routine and focus on better nutrition / get diligent with my weight trainng. Yoga is something that I have been interested in for a long time - along with Rickon's diaphragmatic breathing - it would be great, I will see how I can manage my time / energy.
    Thanks again, I will suck it up and see where the ride takes me!

Quote Originally Posted by J.J Weatherall View Post
    First of all, "I really dig JJ and want to go deeper in the rabbit hole" .... I dig you too brother, but please keep away from my rabbit hole.
    lol. I hope we can still be friends though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12