Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham / Banbury uk

Twister Roll Help

Hey All - Loving the twister roll into truck from twister side atm but have real trouble getting the far side knee over - I can handle the prybar once its over but was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting them to turn into you to set the roll up? Much Love from the UK!

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Check out the Hogtie and if his legs are too strong the Trickster (basically mounting from Twister side and then doing a samurai roll). Also make them pay for not turning into you; develop a really good mount attack from twister side control, if you get really good there they will decide to turn in or away from you to avoid it.

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    If you've got the mastering the twister book, check out "the hogtie" it helps when they stay flat on their back and dont do anything

Array

School
    Thanks guys - having some success with the hogtie but people are getting wise to it and straightening their leg - also getting them to take the bait for the Samurai is hard work, I think you're right about devolving a solid mount game!
    Last edited by apygav; 04-14-2015 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    I remember pulling Eddie aside after a seminar and asking if he could show me it. He did it once but made a point that it's really an art, and that there are so many things to consider, things that could go wrong, and it takes tons and tons of reps to nail down. I've since been on an OCD quest to crack the code. Part of turning them onto their side with the far knee toward you just seems to be smearing the guy with your mass, and giving him no other viable option than the "traditional" jiu jitsu approach of turning in towards you. Staying put would lead to mount and turning away leads to the back, for which I've been sliding up to the seatbelt a la Marcelo the moment I think I have it (seat belt first, hooks later has been the mantra lately, and it's been working out quite nicely). Having those threats handy for sure have made me more confident in going for it, but it's the frickin Da Vinci code of moves imo and watching Eddie nail it in this last MTS is so damn smooth and so damn refined, I feel it's just gonna keep taking a bunch of failures and micro-tweaks. If you haven't got the Mastering the Twister book though, definitely recommend. I haven't checked out the DVD yet but I'm sure it's rad.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 04-14-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Array

School
    its good to hear that others have landed on this path - tbh I'm havin the most success with tricking people by pushing the legs away from me and faking silly toe holds, people will 'sometimes' turn into me giving me the fish net - I suppose its like anything else just needs to be rep'd the hell out of!!
    I have the twister book but think I will order the dvd too, it looks really slick from what I've seen plus I wants some tights anyway so might as well ha - Thanks Brother

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by apygav View Post
    tbh I'm havin the most success with tricking people by pushing the legs away from me and faking silly toe holds, people will 'sometimes' turn into me giving me the fish net
    Cheers, bro. It's funny, a lot of my practice has been coming against white belts in the gi and I guess fear of breaking academy rules regarding footlocks on white belts has prevented me from faking a silly toe hold that I have no intention of going for. Something I could absolutely do from now on to set up the roll. I appreciate that detail brothaman
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 04-14-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    The Hogtie works for a while in my experience until guys get keen to it. Lately I've just been smothering them and forcing them to move in twister side until I can snag the far side leg.