Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Lakeland

Neck Cranks.....I got questions about what tournaments allow them

I have not competed in many tournaments, but I plan on doing a few this next year. I have noticed that many Jiu Jitsu tournaments say that neck cranks are not allowed. So I am wondering if anybody can educate me on what tournaments allow them. I have really been focusing on neck cranks lately and would like to try them in a tournament. Also, the school I train at is all gi so I have little experience with no gi per say but I do try to pretend my grappling partner has no gi when I grapple at the school. Is is hard to transition to the no gi game? I have about 2-3 years grappling experience.

Thanks ahead for the advice

All of our tournaments allow neck cranks and also the twister.

You've gotta come to Germany tho

Array

School
    Parabellum MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias Sieber View Post
    All of our tournaments allow neck cranks and also the twister.

You've gotta come to Germany tho
    I love Germany even more now!

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Lakeland
    Well everybody here is afraid of people getting hurt and the liability. Luckily my instructor has an anything that works mentality. From what I see there are some submission wrestling tournaments around that allow it, but I have done mostly gi in the past.

Array

School
    Mainline United
    In my experience only advanced divisions at tournaments allow neck cranks for the most part. Your always best off asking your ref on the side prior to your match about the legality of a move. Some refs have their own rules and opinions about non-traditional BJJ techs.

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    advanced only!

but i say still learn em if you think there awesome

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    I don't know about neck cranks. Much like the death touch and eye gouges they are that weird genre of move where the extreme nature of the submission isn't actually known by most people.

Many cranks have a reputation of injury usually being banned as wrestling moves, or grappling moves due to their danger. Other cranks.. you sometimes wonder how much torque range there is between discomfort and a broken neck? In a street fight, am I prepared to snap someone's neck.. and if not, will spraining their neck be enough to discourage a second follow up altercation?

I love neck cranks but I usually try to focus on moves that are valid chokes.. which usually turn into cranks anyways when things get sloppy.

Array

School
    Bakersfield Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    To answer question, none.

The BB instructor at my gym gets furious if he sees anyone attempting a neck crank. I mean, it's not like a choke, where if they don't tap, they go to sleep. Are you prepared to make someone a cripple for a gold medal?

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Lakeland
    So the japanese necktie.....neck crank right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast