Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Array

School
    Pure MMA + NextGen Liverpool
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    OK.. im pretty high but im going to try to reword it a different way.. If you take a windmill.. and at the tip of each blade of the windmill you put a magnet angled off (we'll say 45 degrees to the left)... then outside of that is a ring with magnets angled to repel the magnets on the windmill blades. so its a windmill.. only it doesnt need wind to spin. you can keep them inside and use them as little generators or whatever..
    I think I know what you mean. You may know some of this already, but here's an explanation of what wouldn't work with the model I think you're suggesting.

Your model seems to suggest that the ring of magnets on the outside will constantly repel the magnets attached to the blades of the windmill. This is true. If you were to have a magnet at 12 (clockface) on the outer ring, and one at 12 on the inner ring they would repel. And this would cause the turbine to rotate (the direction depends on the initial conditions, but let's say clockwise). But, as the same inner magnet approaches 3(clockface) on the outer ring, the outer South magnet at 3 would also repel the inner magnet. It would repel with equal and opposite force as the outer 12 magnet. This would cause the inner magnet to come to rest at the point on it's path that is equally distant from 12 and 3.

In this explanation, I have reported the actions of one inner magnet between two of the outer magnets. I have ignored the fact that you could have many magnets on both the inner and outer parts of the machine. The exact same thing would happen to every magnet on the turbine at the same time, so I didn't complicate the analysis by talking about them all simultaneously.

If I misunderstood your model, let me know what you meant, and I'll analyse that. It's good to see you're thinking about these things.

Sources: Electromagnetics Brown Belt

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Stuart View Post
    I think I know what you mean. You may know some of this already, but here's an explanation of what wouldn't work with the model I think you're suggesting.

Your model seems to suggest that the ring of magnets on the outside will constantly repel the magnets attached to the blades of the windmill. This is true. If you were to have a magnet at 12 (clockface) on the outer ring, and one at 12 on the inner ring they would repel. And this would cause the turbine to rotate (the direction depends on the initial conditions, but let's say clockwise). But, as the same inner magnet approaches 3(clockface) on the outer ring, the outer South magnet at 3 would also repel the inner magnet. It would repel with equal and opposite force as the outer 12 magnet. This would cause the inner magnet to come to rest at the point on it's path that is equally distant from 12 and 3.

In this explanation, I have reported the actions of one inner magnet between two of the outer magnets. I have ignored the fact that you could have many magnets on both the inner and outer parts of the machine. The exact same thing would happen to every magnet on the turbine at the same time, so I didn't complicate the analysis by talking about them all simultaneously.

If I misunderstood your model, let me know what you meant, and I'll analyse that. It's good to see you're thinking about these things.

Sources: Electromagnetics Brown Belt
    This, incidentally, is why I assumed you meant electromagnets. You can pulse electromagnets and using electromagnetic pulse acceleration has already been done, a lot (trains, rollercoasters, aircraft catapults, and even a NASA model for rocket launchers.). The problem with using a pulsed electromagnetic ring to accelerate the "windmill" blades to generate electricity is as described before; you can't get somethin' for nothin' without violating several basic physical laws. Using fixed magnets (e.g. neodymium -- "rare earth" magnets) just results in a ring that won't move at all.

Array

School
    Pure MMA + NextGen Liverpool
    True Jason, pulsed electromagnets means big thermal and inductive losses.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    no matthew pretty much nailed it on the head. I get what you're saying abot them getting stuck between each other.. hmm.. well i guess ill just keep thinking it out and try to come up with a way to fix that problem.. maybe something with water to where it is inside constantly moving and shifting weight in a certain way to offset the times that they rest between two magnets. I dont know. it'll give me something to do when im bored. Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123