Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Kombat Sports/10th Planet Yuma and San Diego (when in the area)

Perfecting the electric chair

I need some tips and advice on hitting the electric chair. This is a technique I have been perfecting since September and recently I have been decent enough to hit it on small and big guys, whether they tap or not depends on their size for me. Here is my problem that a ran into last night, I had lockdown plus both under hooks (my right arm was under the leg). I was on my right side and as I tried to whip up my opponent would base out and I couldn't whip up, and eventually I got my left arm under his body and gable gripped my hands and tried to pull his leg with a whip yet again the way he based made it impossible to move him. Anything would help and the guy had at least 40 pounds on me, but that has never stopped me before. Thanks for any advice.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by TThompson View Post
    I need some tips and advice on hitting the electric chair. This is a technique I have been perfecting since September and recently I have been decent enough to hit it on small and big guys, whether they tap or not depends on their size for me. Here is my problem that a ran into last night, I had lockdown plus both under hooks (my right arm was under the leg). I was on my right side and as I tried to whip up my opponent would base out and I couldn't whip up, and eventually I got my left arm under his body and gable gripped my hands and tried to pull his leg with a whip yet again the way he based made it impossible to move him. Anything would help and the guy had at least 40 pounds on me, but that has never stopped me before. Thanks for any advice.
    I feel you, I've been experiencing this as well. One thing that's helped is going for the old-school sweep in conjunction with going for the electric chair. By going for that sweep first, if they defend it correctly by basing their leg out, it makes the electric chair that much easier. A detail that's helped me tremendously is to drive INTO the guy by driving your chest in once you have the electric clinch. I really like to cinch in that electric clinch and secure solid-ass underhooks and a tight-ass clinch. By driving my chest in from that point, it'll hopefully cause a reaction to have him drive into you, allowing you to roll over your shoulder and whip your lockdown to the opposite side, disrupting his base. You need to get his leg up on your shoulder by your neck. If it's on your bicep, it'll be weak. Sometimes it might take repeating this sequence two, three, four times or more until you get the space to push his armpit away and complete the sweep. But it sounds like you're believing in it more and more and it's the details and timing sequence. The more you believe in the steps and feel the right way vs. the wrong way, the more higher percentage it'll be. Hope this helps a little..
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 04-29-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    Arman gave you some really solid advice! What I do is, when I have the electric underhooks (double unders with one arm under the leg) I start to whip down. As soon as I begin to whip down, I swim my left arm inside, and C-cup his right bicep. When I'm in the middle of the whip down (when my back in flat on the floor) I punch my right arm to the sky, forcing his leg onto my shoulder. The C-cup on his bicep forces him to base out much further than he usually would, making the electric chair easier. From there, I would change the C-cup on his right bicep, to his left armpit (since its much closer to you now than his bicep was). Hope that helps

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    man, I really need a visual on this one lol. But still interesting to c different ways of doing the same thing.

Array

School
    10th Planet London / Nottingham
    Checkout MTS71, the way I described is just how Eddie does it

Array

School
    Kombat Sports/10th Planet Yuma and San Diego (when in the area)
    Thanks guys and that's all sound advice that I will have to try on my next roll. Plus I'll check out the MTS video because I think I can visualize it but seeing it will be better. Again thanks for the help!

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    slide your arse under the opponents center of gravity first, then whip. probably in MTS.

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    Greg W exactly, that helped me get more of of my electric chair and be able to do it against larger opponents.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Maslany View Post
    Greg W exactly, that helped me get more of of my electric chair and be able to do it against larger opponents.

At 1:52, watch the little slide Garry does with his butt. That little slide really can make a huge difference.
    Last edited by Greg W; 04-30-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast