Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

At what belt did you start getting the most out of seminars?

Since I'm not a blue yet, I don't feel I have the proficiency to start adding so much variety to my "game" other than basics + the warm ups. How proficient were you at BJJ or grappling when you started to get the most out of it?

I use things I learned from a Rigan seminar as a white belt. I have always gained something from seminars.

If you understand the basic positions you will learn from seminars. A seminar is just another lesson from a visiting instructor.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gibbs View Post
    I use things I learned from a Rigan seminar as a white belt. I have always gained something from seminars.
    Every belt for sure I've gotten tons from seminars. It depends on the seminar of course. The Bmac seminar we just had was for more "basic" than the warm ups and probably most of the other "basics" that you were referring to. It was basically about the best way to frame and maintain posture. Everyone got lots from it though. I would not ignore seminars based on your belt. Think of seminars as allot like what you are already learning only in a denser chunk and of a different flavor (because its a different coach/instructor than your used to)

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Madisonville TN
    I think the key to getting the most out of seminars is to drill whatever it was that you learned as soon as possible.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    I started taking seminars a couple weeks after I started. Later on, a lot of the stuff made sense. In terms of 'getting the most', try to make it your goal to take one or two gems out of a seminar and have it drilled enough that you can add it to your game. You might learn 7 or 8 moves but try to make your goal to take away one or two gems. Knowledge is never a bad thing. I learned a collar drag from Bill Cooper during my first seminar and to this day I still use it. It's nice to have in the arsenal.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I think it depends on the seminar. Some give better seminars than others.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I think it depends on the seminar. Some give better seminars than others.
    This is true. I just try to soak as much up as I can. I usually cant implement anything right away, but I tend to be able to see all of it out over the next couple months

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Usually, There's one detail that I can implement immediately. That one detail is worth the entry of the seminar. Then the other stuff starts to fall into place once you've drilled it.

I still use stuff from my first seminar, with Sean Bollinger

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    I've had light bulb eureka moments that have lasted for years and other times I've learned awesome techniques and because I didn't drill them enough forgot all I learned. Mostly I go to them to support the guys I like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast