Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    The MMA Clinic, Cork

Triangle defense

Ive been steadily getting better at Jiu Jitsu over the last few months, (still a white belt), however one of the guys has really flexible legs and seems to be able to pop on a triangle from anywhere, he gets me with it every class.

He locks it on so fast i have trouble escaping, i can delay the tap by kinda making a frame with the arm thats stuck in the traingle, stacking him is difficult because hes so flexible.

What do you guys do when someone locks on a triangle?

I have seen that the best way is to posture up a throw your leg towards your opponent such that you can free your neck and his legs will eventually open and let you free, like Chael Sonnen did against Anderson Silva but then you have to be careful to not let your arm inside and also be careful with leg locks.

PS- I don't know much about jiu jitsu besides that is awesome!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    2-on-1 Wrist control and good posture.

http://www.no-gi-grappling.com/full-guard-recliner.html

triangles are my thing. the thing that can stop 70% of my triangles is when people scramble right when I get my leg over for the threaten. if they don't stop that and I break their posture, percentage of getting out is about 30%. then if you let me lock my legs, it's about done. you may be able to delay it, but it's inevitable at that point. right when you even think they're going for a triangle, posture up and get both hands in or out. as messy as that sounds, it's the best defense imo. also, the way I prevent triangles, is to always keep my elbows glued to my side as much as possible. if they can't get under your elbow, they can't triangle you.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hyatt View Post
    a variation of this that I prefer is to only put the leg of the same side as the arm that's trapped, into his armpit while posting back with your other leg to stand up. you're looking upwards and keeping good posture while doing this and standing UP, not pushing yourself backwards (you'll be vulnerable to get swept if you do). the reason for this, is because while einsteins way is perfectly fine most of the time, if your opponent has long legs and you're too short, if you're sitting on your butt, you don't have enough distance and you can still get choked out from there or he can let go of the triangle and sit up onto mount. standing up will give you more distance and more leverage to escape, even though you may be shorter than your opponent.

Array

School
    The MMA Clinic, Cork
    Thanks for the replies guys, all good information

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    From a positional stand point.. either have both arms in their guard or both arms out. There is more to it than that, but if it's just your first year of training then that should be enough to keep you out of trouble. Basically, if one arm is in and the other is out, red alarms should be going off in your head instantly.

There's obviously exception's to the rule but those come into play once you understand how posture and angles play into the submission.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    From a positional stand point.. either have both arms in their guard or both arms out. There is more to it than that, but if it's just your first year of training then that should be enough to keep you out of trouble. Basically, if one arm is in and the other is out, red alarms should be going off in your head instantly.

There's obviously exception's to the rule but those come into play once you understand how posture and angles play into the submission.
    This.

I'm ALWAYS hunting for triangles because I have long, flexible legs. I catch them in a lot of different places and it's because when I see one arm in my legs snap shut. The same thing has to be true of your defense. If you find yourself with one arm in, hit the eject button and get the F outta there.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    What Epstein shows there is gold. For my purposes though I find it a bit more interesting to not to be there in the first place, unless I have to. If I am in some time of guard, I always try to feel his hips ( I know it sounds bad), as soon as they move, %90 of the time he is going for a sweep, armbar, or triangle. Kimura from the guard doesn't need hips, and if he hips away for it, then he can't finish it anyways, since his hips would be on my wrong side. Anyways as soon as I feel hip movement, I don't care if he just wanted to fart comfortably, I explode my poster up, tuck both my arms in. If it is a triangle or armbar, that is coming and I reacted before he did, I usually end up passing almost every time. But of course these are newbie stuff, If I was rolling with brown/balck belts I would probably get my arm ripped off trying these things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast