Array

School
    10th Planet New York

Telescopes for begginers

Hello everyone. Recently I started reading science literature and found out that astronomy is an awesome thing. For example, recently I went out on the street and saw the beauty of the star sky... I was thinking about that moment for a long time and I would research star sky with telescope. I don't want to buy a professional one, so, guys, did you ever buy a telescope for beginners?

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Something like this is a good starter:

https://www.celestron.com/products/astromaster-102az

You will need an area free of light pollution. Better to invest in good eyepieces at the start as it will be easier to find what you are looking for in the sky and they can be used with other types of scopes later. I don't think you really need the motorized tracking stuff to start with. But you will need to learn enough to get your scope lined to find specific things.

Good for you! In some internet forums though, astronomy is a heresy...

I wouldn't advise investing into a telescope until you've viewed through lots of other peoples scopes first. You can view for free at many of the Observatories, and find access to local astronomy clubs which hold many star viewing parties. Go and familiarize yourself, before spending tons of money on stuff you will probably get bored with fast and want to sell for a loss.

I have a pair of 7x binoculars I use mostly for viewing the stars. I actually prefer them the most, over a telescope. On occasion, I have even been able to see Jupiter and it's largest 4 moons with just binocs. I also have a 45x spotting scope I use for viewing the planets and the Moon. I can see the color bands of Jupiter, but it's not powerful enough to see the rings of Saturn.

Telescopes are heavy and not easy to set up properly. Binocs are fast and easy and offer fantastic views. You can find what you are looking for quickly, as to the narrow focus of a telescope, which takes precise control. The sky is moving faster than you think. You will have to "track" with a telescope, or the object you are viewing will be quickly moved on.
    I encourage you to become a sky gazer. The Aliens are coming and any advanced warning we can give our Planet will help ensure our survival.

Array

School
    10th Planet Los Angeles
    Yes, astronomy is amazing. There is a lot to discover and it's always beautiful to watch. Have you tried reading an astrology book sitting under the clear sky at night? You should try it. But no book will be able to describe the sky like watching it does. I think we all know that feeling when you watch the sky at night and your thought runs together with the eyes, far, far away. The more curious people will try to discover the universe with a telescope. But if you're not sure about what to buy, take a look at paramountind.com, they have reviewed the best telescopes for beginners. I suggest you to buy a light but good one, to be able to take it to the top of a hill and what take a closer look at the stars

Did you mean "astrology book" or "astronomy book"?

Array

School
    breathmindphysineurology-awareness
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloHin View Post
    Hello everyone. Recently I started reading science literature and found out that astronomy is an awesome thing. For example, recently I went out on the street and saw the beauty of the star sky... I was thinking about that moment for a long time and I would research star sky with telescope. I don't want to buy a professional one, so, guys, did you ever buy a telescope for beginners?
    It really depends on where you live and how bright the sky is. I gave my more powerful telescope to my brother's kids because the light pollution got so bad around here that even with my medium power lens I was just getting too much atmospheric glow.

That said, you will save yourself shit tons of time and patience if you at least buy something that is GPS enabled that you can have work with an app, then you set it on what you want to look at and enjoy your time doing it. With my most powerful lens, a planet would literally traverse my view in about 4 seconds one side to the other and then I was back on the twisties trying to keep my target in view. If I bumped it, byebye I would have to go all the way back to my least powerful lens to even locate the object again.

With the more powerful lens though, I viewed some awesomely stunning things.

-ice caps, Mariner valley on Mars (04 was particularly close)
    -5-10 moons of Jupiter, all bands of color, great red spot
    -I saw the absolute blackness of space in between saturn & its rings in 2007 when it was at its max tilt, plus a bunch of its moons
    -I used to sit there and watch the shadow creep across the surface of the moon (but past 40% moon you were burning your fkn retinas out to look at it)
    -venus is too bright to make out any clouds

other stuff got a bit too difficult to locate & track due to no GPS.

If you're into it and have some measure of darkness around you, you absolutely will not regret it. (If you dig it enough to buy, you might as well get the GPS.)