Array

School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX

recording your rolls, is it beneficial?

I want to improve, I thought recording my rolls would help. Anyone else do this or have experience. Any recommendations?

Array

School
    In my mind
    I used to do it with my phone and a cheap tripod. I think it's a massive help regardless of your rank. I also watch my competition footage religiously... and cringe... because I still suck.

Yea, it's nice to know what you're actually doing, not just what you think you're doing. It's also helpful to record drills and techniques you're learning so you can review after class for homework. If you can do it, do it and see if it helps. Good luck!

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Chicago
    I watch old comp clips all the time trying to see what my more experienced self would have done differently in past situations. I do think it's incredibly helpful to see how you are progressing and how your understanding is improving. Plus, speaking more generally, if you are a performer of any kind, whether a public speaker or athlete, the only way you will know how you are coming across to others and how to make improvements is to record yourself.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    It's a great tool that MOST people don't do. Every sport does it why not jiu jitsu. I was the only one recording all of Cora's roll at the gym for years. We use that for our study tape sessions at home along with watching matches from youtube. I think it's especially more helpful with kids so they can see with their own eyes and not just you telling them they done screw up.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    I did it for a spell. If you know what habits to look for, it can be a tremendous benefit.

It's awesome and a great idea. Most people don't do it including myself. I wish I had more videos of me rolling at white and blue so I can see how much better I've gotten. It's so easy to see mistakes you're making. To the point where you might even feel like you look terrible compared to how you picture yourself moving in your mind. Definitely a helpful tool. It can be hard to actually do. Whenever I've done it it's been during an open mat and I might ask someone sitting out to record on my iPhone during my next roll.

I know a guy that runs an academy and he has a camera that films every second of every class. He doesn't keep all the footage but he does use it to watch his students so that he can give them pointers and tips. Since he rolls with everyone during class he's not able to see everyone all the time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I film my rolls a lot. It's a great tool. I always learn something or further refine a skill.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Yes. Grab one of these for a few bucks. Set the tripod up on the mat wherever you roll or use the bendy arms to attach it somewhere. Cheap and works well.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache