Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast

Brian Ortega last night

I thought he looked good off his back, most impressive was that arm bar sweep and the damage he was able to do from the bottom against a very skilled grappler. He defiantly got out wrestled but overall I'd like to see more of him.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    One of the best jiu jitsu displays in a while in an MMA fight.
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Array

School
    10PJJ-Ronin
    Fuck wrestling!

Array

School
    10PJJ-Ronin
    I hope i dont get in trouble for swearing..

Array

School
    10PJJ-Ronin
    Oh and i forgot to say, i was so happy that brian won. He did an awesome job!
    BUT some rubber guard would could have stopped the fight MUCH earlier!! but nice blocking and elbows from the bottom
    Love it when someone uses good jiu-jitsu in the UFC especially if they bring the heat also from the bottom!!

I'm a fan of brian! since his first UFC appearance

and he defently looked comfortable standing up too
    Last edited by David Fankhauser; 06-07-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks San Diego
    Awesome that he used straight up GJJ fundamentals from their curriculum. He landed some sick elbows from the bottom, too. Great fight card all around.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    He's like a featherweight Nog
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    I was a big fan. It was beautiful jiu jitsu!

If i can add any respectful criticism, I do think he could have implemented a slightly better strategy at times. He seemed to settle for the bottom in the first two rounds, and I i were his coach/teammate I would have liked to see him sprawl a bit more and take top position. There were plenty of times when he should have swept and ended up on top. Dont get me wrong, in a jiu jitsu match his strategy would be absolutely fantastic.

Being said, this is MMA and I also feel like he absorbed some shots that a better strategy would have saved him from. If he wants to be super exciting for now, its all good. But for the longevity of his career he should also look to end up on top more and then use that same exciting jiu jitsu on top to finish the fights sooner, all while absorbing less damage whenever possible. He did move a lot and didnt seem to take a lot of direct punches or elbows while on the bottom, but there were definitely a few that landed clean.
    Last edited by stan myaskovskiy; 06-07-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Awesome fight but I'm not sure Ortega won because of his Jiu Jitsu although he did have some nice sweeps / reversals. I believe he won because he had better striking and stamina I suppose you could argue that Ortega did a better job of managing his energy which would be Jiu Jitsu related. There is a good chance that Ortega would have lost the fight if it had gone to a decision and in that case he would have lost due to his Jiu Jitsu style.

Tavares played the role of a wrestler who was hell bent on top control ground and pound and it nearly won him the fight. - I still believe in Rubber Guard in this scenario and I think Tavares would have been much less effective and Ortega would have had a better chance of finishing him with elbows from Rubber Guard.

Ortega's guard was open the majority of the time and Tavares could have stood up and walked away anytime he wanted to; if Tavares was the superior striker this fight could have looked very bad for Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

I have not watched Ortega enough to know if this is his primary guard strategy or if it was based on Tavares's style but I don't think it would have been effective against Aldo, Mendes, McGregor, Edgar, etc. as they would have just kept it on the feet.

Either way, I am excited to see him fight again, just my two cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast